15 - Mission Accomplished

Sam, Marcus, Raj, and Selena stood in the Grim Reaper's office at the Grim Reaper Services. Both he and Cate were there, Cate holding the book Sam had put the energy into. Turned out that energy was actually Sinclair's soul, and Sam had trapped it in the book.

"Not our normal container," Cate had said. "But it'll do. Good work, Sam."

"But how did I do it?" Sam had wanted to know. "I didn't stab him in a fatal area."

Cate had looked grim. "I guess you being an anomaly gave you the ability to draw out souls without the use of a weapon. I told you, we don't exactly know what you're capable of, what your powers are."

"Only that Keres is just as curious in what you can do as we are," the Grim Reaper had joined in. "Which means you better stick with us for the time being."

Sam's shoulders had slumped, but only slightly. Hanging with the Reaper siblings hadn't been the high point of his life, but he had grown to like at least Cate's company. Would it be horrible to have to work with them again?

If it's anything like this, then yes, it will be.

But for now, Sam would be able to go back to his coursework, which suddenly seemed both easier and more terrifying than a serial killer at the same time. Maybe next time he found a sociopathic classics professor, he'd throw some differential equations their way and hope that stopped them.

From what Sam was hearing, Sinclair's body had been found, beside the jokester kid's. The DBI and the Grim Reaper had touched up the scene, removing any evidence incriminating to themselves and framing Sinclair as the Slit-Gag Killer. According to the news this morning, Cecily, the next intended victim, was being credited with killing her captor in a desperate struggle for self-defense that she, due to severe trauma, did not remember at all.

Sam was now beginning to wonder how many serial killer stories were true, and how many were simply the DBI and GRS' version of events.

Due to Selena's actions, Gabrielle was captured and now imprisoned in the DBI's dungeon, awaiting her trial before the Norn Oversight Council. Stan, apparently, was assigned as her DA and was not happy about it. However, Anna, the Assistant Executor, seemed quite excited about winning the case.

"Thanks for all your help," the Grim Reaper said gruffly, returning Sam's thoughts to the present as he glanced at the three guys and Selena. "We, uh, we probably couldn't have done it without you."

"Damn right!" Marcus said, looking slightly insulted.

Raj looked at him. "You were unconscious for the second half of the fight. It was due to them, Sam, and Selena that we won, not us."

Marcus waved his hand at him. "Shut up."

"Pete is right," Cate affirmed. "We couldn't have done it without you. We're grateful for all of your help." She glanced at Marcus. "You can give us back those contacts now."

"Oh, right," Marcus said. "Yeah." After several moments, he managed to pluck the lenses out of his eyes and placed them in the case Cate offered him. He blinked, looking up at them. "You guys didn't disappear!"

"They must be doing that whole thing again, where they allow you to see them," Sam said.

Both Cate and the Grim Reaper shook their heads. "Nope," the Grim Reaper contradicted. "Marcus is seeing us without any help."

Marcus grinned. "Cool." He hesitated for a second, his grin faltering, and then he continued. "I, uh, I have an idea about something. When we were waiting for Selena to identify Slit-Gag's location, I went over the scans you guys made of her brain. At first, I was just curious to see the differences between a Norn-human brain and a regular one – sorry, Selena – but then I noticed something. With the help of your magic, Cate, I believe you and I could alter the section of Selena's brain that allows her to see death. We can't remove it, but I believe we will be able to give her more control over what she sees."

Selena's eyes widened. "You can do that?"

Marcus looked at her. "I think so, yeah. I mean, I would need to do a little more research first, but with the GRS' help, I think we could."

Slowly, Selena gave Marcus a slight smile, the corners of her mouth quirking up. "Thank you," she whispered.

Marcus shrugged, obviously not sure how to respond.

"Well, we better get back to our apartment," Sam said, shifting slightly. "We've got homework to do." Also, I need to figure out how my classic myths class is supposed to finish, with Sinclair dead.

Cate and her brother exchanged a glance. "We'd like to speak with you, first, Sam," Cate requested. "May everyone clear the office?"

Selena, Marcus, and Raj left the office, the door swinging closed behind them as the Grim Reaper and Cate turned their gazes to Sam. "I thought you'd want to know that although we haven't been able to give you conventional records, we have marked you in my personal system," the Grim Reaper told him. "If you were to die, you would be permitted into an afterlife."

"Thanks," Sam said. "So I won't be called into court again over this whole thing?"

"No," Cate said with a grin. "You won't. However, we hope you want to stay in contact with the GRS."

"That's Cate's nice way of saying you have to stay in contact with us," the Grim Reaper clarified. "With Keres planning a comeback and with more power now, she and her minions will make you a target. For what, exactly, we don't know. She clearly created you for some reason. We just don't know what yet."

Sam nodded. "I don't have a choice, do I? Yeah, I'll stay in touch."

"For now, though, you can go back to your classes," Cate said. "If there's a threat, we'll tell you. Have a good rest of your semester."

Sam nodded and turned to leave the office. "Oh, Sam?" the Grim Reaper called. "I've made a decision concerning something very important."

Sam looked back at him just as the Grim Reaper said, "You can call me Pete."