4. First Day's

Word Count: 4219

     You sat between Ron and George. Fred was on the other side of George, Harry on the other side of Ron. Hermione was seated across the table from Ron beside her was the boy whose toad had interrupted Professor McGonagall earlier this evening, you had come to learn that this boy's name was Neville Longbottom. On the other side of Hermione sat Lee and a few girls sat beside Lee talking and catching up with each other.

      From here you had a better view of what was called the 'High Table' where all the teachers sat. You had a better view now of all the teachers sitting at the table. The teacher that was looking at you before still had his eyes on you. Even when you tried to focus on something else you could feel his eyes burning into the side of your head.

   Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. His smile was showcased as he scanned the students, his arms open wide in welcoming, as if nothing pleased him more than seeing all the students gathered together.

"Welcome!" He beamed. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our feast I have a few start-of-term notices, firstly I would like to announce that as well as first years we are welcoming another new student this year who is starting at Hogwarts in her Third year. Welcome and good luck Miss Potter. First Years will also note that the forbidden forest is strictly off-limits to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch" Dumbledore gestured his hand over to the scrawny-looking man standing near the side exit of the room. 

"- Has asked me to remind you that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. And finally please note that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death."

There was a momentary silence after that last announcement, but Dumbledore eventually spoke up again before anyone could question it further. "Let the feast. . . Begin." 

"That's odd normally he gives us a reason why something is out of bounds," George stated.

The Headmaster waved his hand and as if on cue mountains of food showed up in front of every student. Turkey, Chicken, Ham, Peas, Mashed potatoes, Corn, Gravy, Stuffing, and that were just a few of the foods.  It was a full-blown feast with more food than you could name. There was food here for every culture and background so everyone could enjoy something that felt a little more at home.

You filled your plate with a bunch of different foods. The Dursley never starved you or Harry, you would go a night or two without dinner sometimes but never starved. "That does look good." 

You turned your head only to be met with a ghost. A real ghost, transparent, cold, talking to you as if it was a normal Sunday evening dinner. You put your shock behind you. Can ghosts not eat food? You asked yourself. 

"Can't you --?" Harry asked gesturing to the food. He must have wondered the same thing you did.

"I haven't eaten for nearly five hundred years." Said the ghost. "I don't need to, of course, but one does miss it. I don't think I've introduced myself. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at your service. Resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower."

"I know who you are!" Ron said suddenly. "My brothers all told me about you. Your nearly headless Nick."

"I would prefer it if you called me Sir Nicholas Mim-" the ghost started swiftly, but bushy-haired Hermione interrupted. "Nearly headless, how can you be nearly headless?"

"Like this." The ghost said with obvious annoyance in his voice. He took hold of his left ear and pulled. His whole head swung off his neck and onto his shoulder as if it was on a hinge. Someone had tried to behead him but had not done it properly. Sir Nicholas put his head back in place and floated away, clearly upset the conversation didn't go the way he had hoped.