chapter 16

With a smirk on his face, Wen Chao marched up the steps, then took a seat across from the sect leaders. He glanced over, then gave them a careless salute that was even ruder than Jin Zixuan's had been to Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian.

Nie Mingjue scoffed, "Sect Leader Jiang, are you satisfied with this answer?

Instead of growing angry, Jiang Fengmian gave a soft, amused smile and inclined his head once.

In the rows of disciples below, discontentment grew.

"This Wen Chao. Does he think he's the future leader of us all?" Jiang Cheng demanded. He and Wei Wuxian both wore displeased scowls on their faces, and the latter nodded in agreement.

Wei wuxian and jiang cheng snickered

"I guess that's why they arranged the seating this way."

Lan Qiren frowned as he drank, warning "Such arrogance forecasts incoming chaos."

Wei wuxian for the first time in his life agreed to what lan qiren says

It was clear that Jin Guangshan was the only sect leader who had no problem with it. In that way, the discussion created a clear line dividing the cultivation sects in half.

Madame jin rolls her eyes and scoffs internally 'of course it would be that jin guangpig who licks boots'

The beat of the drums returned, causing ripples in the leader's cups. As expected, the announcer stepped forward again to introduce the final ruler.

"His Excellency, Wen Ruohan!"

The audience looked at the screen attentively

Now, even Jiang Fengmian had stopped smiling. As calm as can be, Wen Ruohan stepped up to his elevated throne, ignoring the other leaders. While Lan Qiren, Nie Mingjue, and Jiang Fengmian had all become more tense, Jin Guangshan had slipped into a genuine smile for a moment, pleased at his ally's presence. However, a moment later, he noticed the reactions of the others and returned to a neutral expression, fanning himself lightly.

The second Wen Ruohan sat down, graceful and elegant, yet arrogant and dangerous, the entire congregation of Wen disciples dropped to their knees in unison.

They recited, "Sect Leader Wen of renowned prestige, will live as long as heaven and earth!"

Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng made displeased eye contact, before saluting Jiang Fengmian as well (though keeping it at an expected level of respect, rather than full-on worship).

Some disciples from the great sects grimaced , jin guangshan smiled , jiang fengmian just looks at the screen , qingheng-jun looks at his cup , lan qiren frowns at the display of arrogance from wen ruohan , nie mingjue growls and the nearby people skirts away. But nie huaisang just looks at his brother

"All of you, rise."

As Wen Chao smirked up at his father, the speaker began again.

"The year of Jimao under the reign of Xuanzheng, the archery competition of the Cultivation Conference begins now! Open array!" he commanded, causing the barrier to melt down. "Hundreds of evil spirits dwell in the stone forest. The one who shoots the most evil spirits wins. Black signals will appear for wrong shots or missed shots, indicating that the participant must leave. When the fireworks begin, you may start."

Wen Chao took another sip, before glancing over and nearly spitting it out.

"Hold on!" he commanded. "Who's standing at the end of the line?"