(𝟷𝟿) 𝚆𝚑𝚒𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝙼𝚒𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚎𝚏

Darcio Alois is at my door.

And my clock distinctly reads 11:09pm. So it's too late for training. Too late for anything, really.

Fumbling for words, I glance around the long fluorescent-lit hallway to see if he brought anyone else with him—no such luck. Just him. Smiling like a wolf.

"I—What are you doing here? It's late." I say quietly, keeping my voice low for the sleeping Zehra but also managing to sound like an idiot for stating the obvious time of day.

So much for wanting to avoid unnecessary encounters with this male.

Darcio gently grips my elbow, that grin slightly edged with mischievousness sending forbidden sparks dancing through my heart. "Let's talk in the hall."

I stare at him, trying to read those hooded white eyes—and in them, unusual playfulness bounces around.

Darcio is never like this.

"Um..." I glance back into the room for whatever reason, then look back at him with a confused, hesitant, "Okay."

His answering smile has the breath knocking from my chest.

I softly close the door behind me, slowly, excessively double checking and making sure it's closed, then turn to find Darcio already watching me.

"What do you want?" I question and cross my arms, aware of my informal black nightgown, its long sleeves featherlight against my arms.

"You."

I battle against the sudden scarlet blooming in my cheeks and scrunch my brows together, forcing my stunned self not to stumble. "What?"

"I want you. To come upstairs. You'll see." Is all he says as he wraps a large hand around my upper arm, and, with a rampaging heart, I let him drag me to the small sitting room on the upper floor—

To see a group of grinning rebels crammed together on that periwinkle couch—Astrid, Weylin, Bruno, and one other female that I've seen around the Base but don't know personally.

"Phoenix, meet Riona, Riona, meet Phoenix." Darcio introduces me to the pretty girl with large eyes, and we both smile at one another. I look to Astrid and Bruno, who have their eyes glued to Darcio for some reason.

"I thought you guys were going to sleep." I accuse the duo, and Bruno leans back, crossing one leg over the other. 

"We could say the same for you." He states with raised brows, and I grin defeatedly, looking to a joyful Astrid, who has excitement radiating off her lovely face. 

Excitement at what, though?

I give Weylin, who's leaning back with his long legs spread out in front of him, a small smile, the memory of his warm, tender hug months ago still lingering in the far back of my mind. He sends a wink my way, and I purse my lips to keep my smile from growing.

Darcio seems to notice the insignificant gesture from his fellow Brother and places a light yet assertive hand on my mid back. I tense up a bit at the contact—any touches from him previously had been purely professional, for training purposes only.

This touch carries the weight of something more, something not professional. 

And I don't really seem to mind it.

"It's Phoenix's first time doing this, obviously. So we'll lead the way." Darcio says, and I turn to him with a quizzical look.

"I'm sorry, doing what exactly?"