twenty-one

˗ˏˋCHAPTER TWENTY-ONEˊˎ-

***

IT WAS A huge relief to the entire crew when Ramadu's island came into view the next morning, thankfully to Eustace, who had tugged them there the whole way in his dragon form. Excitement buzzed through the ship, and Wren watched from where she stood against one of the wooden columns as the men quickly gathered supplies for the next adventure.

Once the anchor was secured, the longboats were dished out, and Wren settled next to Lucy, who was glancing around with a subconscious smile on her face. Caspian was the last person to climb on, and she found his gaze immediately, knowing that there was a challenging look in her eyes as she continued to stare at him. But her fiancé said nothing, and she didn't break away until he was seated, facing the opposite direction of her.

The island itself was strange, Wren found comfort in gripping her daggers from under her sleeve as they made their way through the messy terrain. Odd statues of birds with long beaks, overgrown vines and prickly branches intertwined, forming a roof over their heads, completely invested with cobwebs, and a blue gleaming light shining from behind it all.

That's where they ended up at, Edmund clutched his flashlight and moved it around, Caspian next to him, both of them in the lead. Well, at least they had fixed their dispute, hopefully there would be no more useless arguing about power between them. Wren glared at the back of his head, wishing he would let up on his stubbornness and just talk to her.

Beyond the arch of dead wood and vines, was a table, much to everyone's surprise and confusion. There were unlit candlesticks and vases of flowers set off to the center of the table, a dozen plates laid down at each dining spot, endless food between each article of decoration. Wren looked around, her suspicion growing.

"Mm, food," Malcom said in a low voice. Wren could practially hear the minotaur's stomach growl, but she held up a hand, signaling for him to stop, just as Caspian called out.

"Wait," the King stated, catching her eye. Even when they were fighting, they were still on the same wavelength. She didn't know whether to be annoyed or not. Then, Edmund shone his flashlight into the large pile of bushes, and Wren leapt back, bumping into Caspian who caught her by the elbow, but she wasn't looking at him. She was looking at the two men captured and tangled in the vines, completely motionless. Caspian edged forward, peering closer to the unknown men, and straigtened up with a realiztation. "Lord Revillian."

Wren's brows furrowed, and she stepped next to him, examining the rings on the men's hands. She turned, "Lord Mavramorn," she mumbled. "Lord Agorz."

"They're alive," Edmund murmered in disbelief. "They're breathing. They must be under a spell."

"It's the food!" Wren shouted, spinning around to the others, who all backed away from the table. Malcom instanlty dropped the roll of bread he had picked up.

Edmund crouched down, "hey, look, it's the stone knife. This is Aslan's table."

"Their swords," Caspian muttered, reaching to grab them. "Get them on the table. Wren?"

She raised a brow at him, but pulled the satchel off her shoulder and placed the other sword she'd been carrying onto the table. "There's still only six," Wren shook her head. "We're missing one."

The swords abrubtly lit up, casting a blue haze over them all, as Lucy pointed upwards. Wren blinked a couple of times to make sure she hadn't gone mental, because the Blue Star was actually moving. And it was coming towards them. It floated in a ball for just a moment, before it transformed before their eyes into a... Woman? Wren cocked her head. "Maybe it's not the food," she mumbled, more to herself than anything. "Maybe it's the air."

"Travelers of Narnia, welcome," the woman greeted, looking around at all of them. Everyone bowed except Lucy and Wren, and instead, the two girls shared perplexed looks. "Arise. Are you not hungry?"

"Who are you?" Edmund asked in response.

"I'm Liliandil, daughter of Ramandu," she answered. "I am your guide."

"You're a star?"

"You are most beautiful," Caspian told her quietly. Wren's head whipped over in his direction as her eyes narrowed murderously, and he quickly shook his head. "Uh-"

"If it is a distraction for you, I can change form."

'No!" Edmund yelled out, but Caspian said nothing, because Wren had not broken her glare.

"The food is for you," Liliandil said, smiling brightly at them, and the candles lit. "There is enough for all who are welcome at Aslan's table. Help yourselves."

"Right, and risk turning into those two sleeping beauty's over there?" Wren quipped, gesturing to the Lords.

"Those poor men were half-mad by the time they reached our shores," she explained. "They were threatening violence upon each other. Violence is forbidden at the table of Aslan, so they went to sleep."

"Will they ever wake?" Lucy questioned.

"When all is put right," Liliandil responded gently. "Come, now. There is little time."

Liliandil led them down a messy path, overgrown with grass and small flowers, until a rocky staircase appeared, and they slowed their pace, struggling slightly to climb up them as pieces of the stone broke out from under their feet. Wren was the first to make it to the top, and she let her eyes wander the surrounding area.

"The magician told you of the Dark Island?" She asked once they had all managed to make it to the balcony.

"Yes," Caspian answered.

"Thought it was like, metaphorical, though," Wren mused, eyes not wavering from the land mass off in the distance. It looked like it was covered in a cloud of dark grey clouds, green smoke oozing out like lava from every direction. "Apparently he meant literally."

"Before long, the evil will be unstoppable," Liliandil said.

"The magician said that to break the spell, we lay the seven swords at Aslan's table," Edmund stated.

She nodded. "He speaks the truth."

"But we only found six. Do you know where the seventh one is?"

Liliandil raised her hand, and pointed to the Dark Island. The action made Wren's stomach drop. "The final sword is in there."

Wren nearly groaned aloud. Of course it was.

authors note

wren is so done with caspian and everyone's bullshit i'm giggling