two

˗ˏˋCHAPTER TWOˊˎ-

***

WEIRDLY ENOUGH, WREN did in fact, not pass out at the sudden transportation to...wherever she was. And it didn't take a genius—because she surely wasn't one—to figure out that this beach looked exactly like the one she was always drawing. The siblings all seemed put off for a moment, watching her strangely, obviously worried to how she was going to react, but Wren just grinned, and sprinted down the shoreline, loving how free she felt in that moment.

She didn't know when she was going to wake up from the dream. But everything felt so real. The sand between her toes after she kicked off her shoes, the sun beating down on her pale arms, the smell of the salty ocean. She felt...at home. At home to a place she'd never been to before. At home to place that really wasn't her home. But she knew in that moment she wanted to stay there forever. She didn't want to wake up, not to that shitty apartment where she had to steal to pay the rent and food. And certainly not back to her small room that could barely fit her bed. She would be fine with sleeping forever if it meant she got to stay.

The others too shredded their jackets and boots, and Wren followed them into the water, that was surprisingly chilled even with the hot sun beating down on them. But Wren came to a halt, she'd never been able to feel anything like this in her dreams before, especially not the cold water on her face when Lucy splashed her.

She heaved a breath, glancing to the four siblings, but Edmund spoke up before she got the chance. "Where do you suppose we are?"

"Oh, thank God," Wren sighed. "I'm glad I'm not the only one confused.

"Where do you think we are, Ed?"

"Well, I don't remember any ruins in Narnia," he said.

"Narnia?" She repeated, cocking her head to the side, following his gaze to the mountain in front of them. Crumbled walls that looked like they could've belonged to a castle once stood at the top, but they were too overgrown by trees and vines to actually tell. She vaguely recognized it. "Hey, Susan, doesn't this look like-"

"Your drawings," she finished, nodding. "Yeah. You sure you've never been here before?"

"I suppose I've always wished for a life outside of England," Wren mused, spinning around in the sand with a grin, soaking up the sun. "And this definitely isn't England. It seems like I've got my wish. I still wouldn't mind you guys filling me in a bit...or a lot."

Peter gave a firm nod. "Right. Seems like there's no point in not telling you anything, I mean, you're here now anyway. We'll tell you once we find a way up this mountain."

The story the four siblings told her was everything she hadn't been expecting, but it was magical and wonderful, and the life she had been wanting since she was a child, so she believed it regardless. Besides, she was climbing up the mountain to explore some ruins to a destroyed building in an entirely different world, it would be pretty stupid to think they weren't being truthful.

They finally reached the top, and the building was even more destroyed up there. Two lone, broken staircases sat before them, along with a large stone slab with some designs drawn along it. Birds chirped from overhead trees, and Wren smiled to herself at the sound. This place—Narnia—seemed to peaceful compared to what she was used to.

"Wonder who lived here," Lucy said, gaining their attention.

Susan stumbled on something, and reached down to pick the object up. Wren curiously stepped over to her, staring at the golden chess piece in her hands. Realization dawned on her face. "I think we did."