˗ˏˋBONUS CHAPTERˊˎ-

***

My dearest Wren,

I hope that this letter reaches you along with the others I have sent. If not, it appears that I'm wasting parchment.

How are you? It feels quite silly to ask such a question knowing you will never be able to respond. I do wish that the answer is alright, however. But I am doing the opposite, if I'm being honest.

It's been seven months since you've left us. Since you've left me. Everyone around says it will get easier with time, but it hasn't. I still feel like I'm lifting the entire Dawn Treader with my own two hands whenever I try to move. It's so dull without you now. I can't remember a single moment when I've last laughed.

Edmund and Lucy have left Narnia for good. They won't be returning, and I am the only one left. I'm surrounded by subjects but I've never felt so alone. My family has left me Wren, and I don't know how to cope with it.

Drinian says grief is hard on a kingdom, especially when the ruler is unable to present himself in a strong demeanor. I've never known what it was like to be really truly strong until I met you. You've made me a better man, Wren. And I think it's time I put your knowledge to use. Because you deserve to rest after all this time. I've been clinging to the last memory of you like a lifeline for so long, but I've realized it isn't fair.

You're dead. It is time to put your memory at ease, even if it feels like I'm pulling out my teeth to do so.

This is what you would want. You would want me to move on. Focus on ruling. A King is nothing without his Queen, and I shall remain so until my last breath. There is no one like you, Wren Wilde. And I'm sorry that it took me so long to notice. I'm sorry I wasted so much of our time together ignoring the wedding looming over our heads.

I guess I was scared. Scared that you'd see I wasn't good enough for you. And in the end, I was right. Maybe things would be different if I had made you my wife. Maybe you would still be here. Maybe we would have three gorgeous children running around the palace. All of them with your eyes and my hair. We would treat them like the princesses and princes that they are, and we would be happy. And we might be their parents, but they would certainly rule us.

Drinian also says it's not good to imagine the "what if's," but losing something so close, and so deep and meaningful to you makes it hard not to think of the other outcomes.

Because you were my world, the one thing keeping my head afloat, the reason I got up in the morning. You were my Blue Star, and my deepest regret was never truly being able to call you mine.

I will continue to love you. I will continue to miss you so much that it pains me. But I will no longer dwell. I have to move on, Wren. I have to think about our people.

But oh, how I've loved you Wren Wilde. I wish I got the chance to say it one last time.

***