thirteen

˗ˏˋCHAPTER THIRTEENˊˎ-

***

WREN WATCHED EDMUND and Caspian sword-fight on the main deck from next to Lucy, who was squinting to see as the sun shone brightly overhead. The two kings were grinning as their weapons clashed together. Lucy shifted to curiously gaze at the older girl. "How do you like it? I mean, living in Narnia."

Wren glanced her way. "Well, it's much better than living in your world, to say the least. But you knew that already. Why do you ask?"

"Don't know..." She shrugged. "Just missed it here, is all. And you live on a boat! Isn't that wonderful?"

"I actually hated it at first," Wren admitted. "I mean, I never got seasick or anything but, it still made me woozy. I got used to it, I suppose. How's life in England?"

"It's never compared to Narnia," Lucy answered as the boys finished their duel. "So you and Caspian, eh?"

Wren snorted. "I thought that much was obvious."

"Well, yeah," Lucy shrugged again, "I mean, it's clear as day how much he cares about you. I've read it in books, but I had truly never believed love like that existed. It's all in the eyes."

"Are you giving me love advice?" Wren quirked a brow. "I've already managed to make him propose, I think we're doing-"

"I know that... But I saw both of your reactions when I brought it up earlier. Why haven't you gotten married?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," Wren replied, trying to ignore the flicker of disappointment in her chest when she thought about it. "It could have to do with how often we travel. There's hardly any time to plan a wedding. And I think... Well, I don't know what to think, but I'm okay with it. I don't want to rush into things."

"Hey," Edmund greeted, swallowing the water from his cup before he settled down against the chest next to them.

"Question," Lucy said. "Do you think if we just keep sailing to the end of the world we'll just tip off the edge?"

Wren laughed. "I don't think that's how physics works."

"Yeah, and don't worry about it anyway, Lu. We're a long away from there."

"I see you're still talking nonsense, the two of you," the whining boy from earlier, who Wren learned to be named Eustace stated, climbing up from the hospital quarters. He was a very stern looking boy, she realized. With his lips pulled into a frown and narrowed eyes, it was hard to see how he was related to the Pevensies.

"Are you feeling better?" Lucy asked, clearly trying to take the high road and be mature about the situation.

"Yes, no thanks to you," he responded sharply, crossing his arms. "It's lucky I have an iron constitution."

"As effervescent as ever, I see," Reep said from above, and Wren glanced up to see him sliding down a rope. "Find your sea legs?"

"Never lost them," Eustace said defensively. "Simply dealing with the shock of things." Edmund's face scrunched up in a mix between disgust and annoyance, Wren ducked her head to hide her laughter. "Mother says I have an a cute disposition due to my intelligence."

The boy spit his water back into his cup with a snicker, and Reep grinned. "I don't think he has 'a cute' anything."

"I'll have you know, as soon as we find civilization, I'm contacting the British Consul."

"Good luck with that," Wren interrupted. "There's no technology in Narnia, and you're currently standing on the boat that has any sort of police authority."