Chapter 1

Khushi walked out of the bathroom, dressed for the party in a beautiful red dress gifted to her by her husband. Drying her hair with the towel, she stood in front of the full-length mirror near the closet, taking inventory of herself. She'd put on a few pounds over the years, but was still thin enough to cause her husband worry every time she skipped a meal. She was getting laugh lines around her mouth, and crow's feet around her eyes. They were signs that she adored, testifying to the wonderful life she'd had with her husband so far. The scar on her jaw was almost gone now, and the indent in her once-broken cheekbone didn't bother her as much now as it did a few years ago. Overall, she thought, she'd survived quite well so far. You think you're so pretty, eh? What would happen if someone disfigured that pretty face? She shivered as that errant memory came up out of nowhere. No, she would not think of that time. It was gone and in the past now, and the memories couldn't hurt her anymore. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, calming her nerves and trying to think of something soothing, like her therapist had advised her to do, when the memories swam back up to the surface. The beach vacation in Goa with her husband last year! The sound of the waves, the scorching sun warming her up, the walk down the beach hand in hand with her husband searching for seashells. She felt her heartbeat slow down, back to normal, and smiled.

"I hope that smile is because you're thinking of me?" She felt his arms around her, one around her waist and the other around her shoulders, as his body went flush against hers from the back. She loved it when he held her like that, giving her a feeling of belonging, of being cocooned in his warmth. Her safe place! Her smile grew.

She opened her eyes and looked straight into his soft brown ones reflected in the mirror.

"You.... look.... exquisite", he complimented her.

"You're just saying that because you selected this dress", she smiled back at him.

"Of course. But then, I have great taste. In dresses and the woman who wears them", he smirked.

She laughed, a tinkling sound that delighted him even after all these years, especially since it was so hard-earned. She slapped his arm playfully.

"Let go now. I have to get ready"

"There's more? You're already taking my breath away. I might die if you get ready any more"

"Flattery will get you..... everywhere", she giggled.

"Oh good....I aim to get.... everywhere", he squeezed her as he placed a long, lingering kiss on the curve of her neck, and released her.

"We have reservations at 7", he reminded her as he walked out of the room.

"Arnav?", she called out just as he reached the door.

He turned around, and raised an eyebrow at her.

"I love you"

His eyes softened as he smiled at her, "Me too Jaan..... a lot", he said softly.