Chapter 2

Khushi woke up, sweating and shivering, in the middle of the night. A nightmare. It's just a nightmare, Khushi. She sat up in bed, and looked at the bedside clock. It was 4am. She grabbed a sip from the water bottle next to the clock, and turned to look at her husband lying next to her. Arnav was snoring lightly, lying on his stomach facing away from her, hugging his pillow. She smiled at that pose. No matter how they started the night, cuddling together, wrapped in each other's arms with tangled limbs, he always ended up sleeping this way, hugging that pillow. The repetitive sounds of his breathing soothed her, the familiar contours of their bedroom bringing her heartbeat back to normal.

She realized she would not be able to sleep now, and got out of bed tiredly. It was past mid-night when they'd gotten into bed, and she would have to take a nap in the afternoon to make up for this lack of sleep. She walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen and made herself a cup of hot cocoa. It had become her go-to soothing drink ever since Arnav had introduced it to her 9 years ago. Somehow she always associated it with him. She added the extra pinch of cinnamon, just like he did, and took her cup to the dining room alcove, facing the ocean. This was her favorite perch. Watching the Arabian Sea with its tumultuous undulating waves always calmed her down, weirdly enough. They'd bought this flat 3 years ago just for the ocean view, just for her.

She hadn't had this nightmare for a while now. Maybe it was because it was the anniversary of the nightmare that she'd lived through 9 years ago. Somewhere in her subconscious mind, she still was stuck on that date, when her life had changed. Her therapist had told her to let the memories come if they did. The pain would lesson as the years went by, the horror would lesson, and it was reducing. Now whenever she thought of it, it felt like it had happened to someone else. The memory of the pain was almost gone, her mind blocking out the horror in order to stay sane.

But the echoes of the pain were still there, and would likely be with her for the rest of her life. The scars on her body and on her mind were faint, but would never be erased. But she was a survivor and would continue to survive.

It was still dark out, but the sun would be up shortly. Snuggling into the blanket Dai Ma kept there for just this reason, she looked out into the deep dark quiet outside, and let the memories come.

9 years ago

22-year-old Khushi was grinning widely as she walked into the orphanage, straight into sister Teresa's office.

"Sister?" she asked as she knocked on the door.

"Khushi? Come on in, beta", a wide smile, the same warm embrace she'd felt since childhood, the familiar smells of mothballs and mint enveloped her.

"I got your message from Lavanya. You wanted to see me", Khushi asked. She was working when Sister had called and had left a message with her roommate to come see her when she got a chance.

"Arey, it wasn't urgent or anything. But there is something I wanted to talk to you about. You haven't visited us in such a long time", Sister complained.

"Sorry Sister. Exams completed just last month. And I had to finish my internship project before results are out. I was planning to visit this weekend once the results came out on Friday", Khushi apologized.

"You'll do very well. You always do. I have faith in you, Khushi. Don't know why you worry so much", Sister shook her head at her.

"We'll see. My permanent job is dependent on me getting a first class. That's what they told me. What is it you wanted to see me about, Sister?"

Sister Teresa hesitated. She loved this girl. Had loved her ever since she'd held the frightened, pale two-year-old at the police station, abandoned by her birth parents at the railway station. A waif-like child, smaller in size than her age, in tattered rags, with only the knowledge that her name was Khushi, her huge, brown eyes full of tears. Sister Teresa had never wanted a family or a husband, hence her dedication to the Lord, but she loved children, and had therefore asked for the assignment to the orphanage once she was ordained. But none of the children had touched her as much as this girl. She was the daughter of her heart, and she was happy that she could help her now in this wonderful new phase of her life.

"Khushi? You remember Anjali Jha? She's a patron here"

"Yes, Mrs Jha. Lovely woman. I've met her a few times. And her husband too. I think her mother had come over last month when I was here, I met her too. They're nice people"

"Khushi, they're a well-known, large family here. Anjali is married into the Jhas. Her husband, Shyam, is a very well-known criminal lawyer. But Anjali's family, the Guptas, are also very influential. The elder Gupta, Shashi, is still very much active in business. He has two sons, Nameet and Karan, and Anjali, of course. His brother also lives with him, and they have a son and a daughter, Akash and Amruta. Anjali and Amruta are married, not sure who Amruta is married to, it's a love marriage, I think. Akash got married last year, I think his wife's name is Payal. Nameet, the older son, is also married, to Vinita, and they have a son who is 2 years old now. The Guptas are still a joint family. I've met almost all of them over the course of the last 5 years, except Payal, and they're all very nice people"

Khushi let Sister ramble on about the Guptas, a little puzzled as to why she was being given this information.

"Khushi.... I met with Mrs. Gupta and Mrs Jha two days ago. They were very impressed with you, and wanted to get you married to their younger son, Karan"

"What?!!!"

"Mrs Jha has met you a few times, and she really likes you. So she brought her mother over last month, specifically to meet you. They both discussed this with the other family members and then came and talked to me about it. They want to know if you would be interested"

"Marriage? But Sister, I haven't even thought of it"

"You're 22 now Khushi. And unless you like someone else, this is not a bad time to get married, and the Guptas are a very good family..... you're not interested in someone else, are you?"

"What?!! No... no.... I mean. No I'm not interested in anyone else. I don't even have a male friend, Sister. The only friend I have is Lavanya, and that's mostly because she's my roommate"

"ok good. I'm not forcing you to make a decision now, but they do want the wedding to take place this year. Why don't you think about it? You only have to meet Karan once. If you don't like him, you can always refuse. If you do, then we can talk further"

"But I don't even know him. I've never seen him"

"Arey, that is why I'm asking you to meet him once. Then we'll just let things happen at their own pace", Sister explained.

Khushi just nodded her head, still a little overwhelmed by this news.