Chapter 39

Those dazzling blue gaze and utterly charming smile had her pinned

Those dazzling blue gaze and utterly charming smile had her pinned. Despite her reservations, Kat found she wasn't quite as worried about feeling stupid as she had been, now that he was looking at her like that.

"Smooth-talker..." She grumbled shyly as she stepped into Bucky's arms. His right hand settled confidently on her waist, his left closing gently around her fingers, drawing her into his warm chest as the brassy tones of the music washed over them. "I bet you say that to all the girls."

"Maybe I used to." He admitted, that quirk of a smile never once leaving his lips as he took a slow, meandering step and laughing as she stumbled after him. "Relax, Doll. I've got you."

"I bet you said that too..." She huffed under her breath as she looked down at her feet, her cheeks flushing as his hand momentarily left her waist to tilt her chin up.

"Used to." He grinned, resuming his careful hold on her. "I'll not be saying it to any other girls though, I can promise you that."

"Oh, I bet the dames would have tripped over themselves to hear you say that..." She teased him, trying not to look down as she trod on his toe, but at the same time trying not to get caught up in those captivating blue eyes. "Were they all queueing up to be your best girl?"

"Well..." He chuckled out an almost embarrassed laugh, lifting their joined hands in the same way he had done upstairs to coax her into a hesitant twirl; "Perhaps they were. I never had a best girl though."

"Never?" She smiled as she found her footing, meeting his eyes again as he caught her waist once more; "Sergeant Smooth-Talker Barnes didn't have some sweet little thing waiting for him when he shipped out?"

"I mean..." He cringed a little at her question, glancing away as her smile widened at his awkwardness; "I had a few dates, dance partners, y'know?"

"I bet you did."

"Nothing... Long term." He assured her quickly, looking back at her teasing comment.

"Why not?" She hummed, grimacing as she misplaced her step and kicked his ankle. "Sorry."

"Didn't find the right one, I guess." Bucky smiled as he steadied her, "You're thinking too much, Kat – it's like when you fight, just let it be instinctive."

"The problem is I don't have any instinct when it comes to dancing."

"More than you think." He teased, pausing to dip her back slightly and laughing as she clung to his shoulder and hand. "Just wait until we get a fast song."

"Not a chance, Barnes." Kat groaned playfully as he righted her, "Come on then, what would a date have been like, in the forties? Tell me." She coaxed, enjoying the way he sounded when he talked about that time, before the war.

"Well, let's see..." He hummed, leading her smoothly around the floor of the bar; "That depends on the girl really. If it was you... Maybe not dancing." He cast her a playful grin as he held out his arm, giving her hip a gentle push to get her to spin out and laughing as she twisted the wrong way.