Chapter 55

"Everyone got eyes on Cap?"

"Affirmative – clear view from the parking deck."

"Clear view from the terminal."

"Clear from south runway." Kat confirmed her sightline with a light touch to her earpiece as she strode unobtrusively across the south hangar bay, trusting in the invisibility of a uniform as she glanced across the runway to the terminal gate where Steve was waiting.

"Clear view from the shield – lookin' good, Cap."

"Stay focused, Lang." Sam's level tone reminded the eager voice of Scott Lang, making Kat shake her head a little in disbelief as she recalled the brief conversation over their earpieces as they discussed what exactly it was that Lang planned to do with his 'Ant Man' suit. Of all the things Kat had needed to wrap her head around in the last twenty-four hours, she hadn't anticipated a utterly unbelievable shrinking suit, but there wasn't exactly time to process it, not when she had her own plan to stick to.

She could see the helicopter; Clint had pointed it out from the moment she was in position. It would be a swift dash to it whilst Steve kept whoever came to stand in their way occupied. She knew the coordinates of the Siberian Base – if she could get inside, get those details programmed into the onboard computer, then they'd be halfway to take off. Not that she'd ever set foot inside a helicopter before, but Barton had assured her that he'd talk her through it.

It had been an offer that had surprised her, the instant acceptance as a member of the team and the complete lack of any suspicion from the others wasn't at all what she had expected. The way they adapted so seamlessly to fit her into the plan, and to even go so far as to assign her such a pivotal role. Perhaps it was because they didn't know her full story, but it mostly seemed to be because Steve trusted her. It was the same with Bucky, though there had been a few sideways glances cast his way – his reputation loomed larger than most, after all – he too had slipped into the ranks without question.

It did however leave their team with an odd number. The others all had a partner, someone to watch their back throughout whatever was about to come, but she didn't. It was a concern Bucky had voiced as she had moved to leave him and Sam at the terminal building a few minutes ago, and whilst Sam had offered a solution, he hadn't been overly thrilled by it.

'That thing isn't the same as a partner.'

'He's a wingman – and he has a name.'

'I think he's cute.' Kat's comment had silenced Sam and Bucky's bickering, and truthfully, having the quiet presence of Sam's Redwing drone hovering nearby was a little more reassuring than being completely alone on the runway. Tracking her heat signature, the little triangular drone skimmed past her occasionally as it scanned the surrounding area for signs of their opponents, making sure her path to the helicopter stayed clear.