Chapter 49

Kat could only stare at Bucky in bewilderment at his firm order, taking a step back to slip her arm out from under his hand; "There's no way I'm leaving you

Kat could only stare at Bucky in bewilderment at his firm order, taking a step back to slip her arm out from under his hand; "There's no way I'm leaving you."

"You have to – I'm not letting you get caught up in this." He insisted, his gaze hardening in the face of her defiance.

"I'm way past getting caught up, Bucky. I've been up to eyes in this shit since the eighties." She reminded him; "You're not sending me away now."

"Well I'm not letting you follow me to Siberia just to get yourself killed! You know these guys, Kat. You know what they're capable of, I'm no match for them – they'll tear you apart."

"What happened to us being in this together? You think I'm going to let you charge off to that place without me? Towards a guy we know is fully capable of sending you on another rampage?" She scoffed in disbelief, "Get your head out of your ass Barnes – you aren't the only one that has history there. It's my fault that doctor guy was able to get to you, and if he reactivates that squad that'll be on my conscience too. I'm not sitting this one out."

He looked at her for a moment, his frown wavering for a moment in the face of the clear guilt she felt, before his jaw clenched once more. "I wasn't offering you a choice, Kat."

"You better pray that's the concussion talking James Buchanan Barnes, because if it isn't, I've got half a mind to give you another one."

It wasn't until she heard Steve's faintly amused snort that she realised that he was still in the room with them. Casting the other super soldier a small glance, Kat forced her hands to relax, feeling where her fingernails were digging into her palms. "You need me, I know that facility better than anyone. Every way in and out, access codes – you name it. If there are any records of triggers for the Soldiers, I'll be able to find them."

"She's right." Steve cut in softly, bracing his hands on his hips; "It's like she said, we'll need all the help we can get."

Kat watched as Bucky glanced reluctantly at the fair-haired man, that muscle in his jaw flexing in exactly the way she remembered it doing when he was frustrated. Biting back words that were on the tip of his tongue.

She wasn't about to stand here and argue with him, not when they had only just found one another again.

"I'll, uh... Get on finding somewhere we can hole up." She breathed out, knowing this was far from over, but Bucky and Steve had no shortage of talking to do either. She didn't imagine there had been much opportunity between their arrest and where they stood now. Shaking her head slightly, she stepped out into the main space of the warehouse, glancing down at the phone in her hand as she began browsing AirBnB listings just outside the city. Not that she was actually about to leave a paper trail in the form of booking accommodation, but it gave a pretty clear-cut list of what buildings would be vacant tonight in on the outskirts of Berlin.