Chapter Five

Farah

I wake with a start, shivering from the cold. Pulling the covers around me, I burrow my head into my pillow, not yet ready to get up. The sun still hasn't fully risen and so I don't even bother to check the time, as I close my eyes again.

I feel strangely alone as if someone else should be beside me and my mind returns to the strange man that I met the day before.

I'll probably never see him again. I should be relieved. I'd gotten the distinct impression that his intentions were of a sinister nature. I'd certainly not felt safe. He had definitely given off serial killer vibes.

And yet, I'd felt strangely drawn to him. More than that, I'd wanted him.

I'd wanted him to kiss me. I'd waited there stupidly, staring up at him and all I could think about was how much I wanted him to kiss me.

Sighing, I roll over onto my back and stare at the ceiling above. I'm probably not going to be able to fall back asleep, not when my mind is full of unhelpful thoughts about some nameless stalker.

The fact that I'm giving him even a moment's thought is ridiculous. I should be considering calling the police, not thinking about kissing him.

He stole my book only to wait outside in the pouring bloody rain, just to give it back to me. I might not know his name but there's one thing I know for sure. He's not normal.

Everette

Sitting here is tedious. I'm in the same café from yesterday and as much as Farah's blood sings to me, there's only so many times I can watch her make an Americano.

This morning when I left her room, I didn't go far. I waited in my car, just up the street out of sight, for her to wake and go about her business.

I'd been impatient, anticipating the moment when I'd be able to talk to her again. The moment when I'd be able to create a coincidence or blatantly walk up to her. Either would work. But neither was possible while she remained in her apartment.

I was frustrated when she didn't leave her home until well after lunch, seriously considering re-entering her apartment and outright kidnapping the girl.

When she finally left, it was only to return to the café. I didn't rush to follow her in, instead taking my time parking my car. As true as it might be, I wasn't ready for her to know that I was following her.

Entering, after what felt like an age, I had approached the counter to place my order. A smiling waitress had offered to take my order at the table but I refused her, looking for an excuse to talk to Farah.

Talking to her was something I had been anticipating since the night before and there was no way I was going to give up this chance. Farah's eyes locked with mine when she heard my voice, causing her to spill the coffee she was pouring, scolding her hand in the process.

I had to stop myself from rushing to her side. I wanted to check her hand and treat the burn. Not that I knew why.

It's not like the burn would taint the taste of her blood.

As I kept my feet planted, I felt my lips twitch upwards. I was pleased to see she was nervous.

I was displeased when she just brushed off her colleagues' help and continued as if she wasn't hurt. Her hand was bright red and would no doubt blister.

I waited with more patience than the others in the queue. Although I enjoyed making her nervous, I didn't want to see her hurt.

When it was finally my turn to order, I gave her a wide smile, doing my best to ignore the glare that I receive back.

"Hello Farah," I said seductively.

The other women in the queue were busy whispering about me but I pretended not to hear them. Those sorts of whispers follow us Vampires around everywhere we go.

Apparently, the humans find us fascinating.

She didn't respond to my greeting, instead rudely asking what I wanted. Chuckling slightly, I refrained myself from answering honestly.

"An Americano will do for now," I told her, lacing my words with more meaning than her silly little human brain would probably pick up. Her eyes widened and I wondered for a brief second, if perhaps her puny brain wasn't that small after all.

Now hours later, I'm sitting in the same corner as the day before. The only difference is that today she's watching me too.

☠️ Would you run from Everette?