Chapter Thirteen

Farah

I don't have time to try and pull away before his fangs break through the thin membrane of skin on my neck. My head is fuzzy and I begin to feel dizzy. The bite doesn't last as long as the last one and before I know it, it's over.

I feel surprisingly safe as Everette flips us around so that I'm now lying on his side with my head resting on his chest. Inhaling the musky scent of sex and sweat, I try to catch my breath.

I don't know what to make of everything that has just happened. I don't know if I should be angry, terrified or what.

"Sleep Farah."

The words are a demand, not a request and I feel my eyelids obeying him long before my mind is willing. With a thousand questions in my mind, I fall into a restless slumber.

Everette

Watching her sleep, I consider my options. If my intention was to keep her alive, then bringing her here was probably unwise.

Now that I've had a taste of her blood, I'll crave more and more, my thirst never fully sated until I kill her. That's the destiny before us and yet surprisingly, that isn't enough.

With a grimace, I extract myself from her embrace and leave the room and the sleeping girl behind. Making my way down the hall, still naked, I enter my bedchamber.

I slip on some clothes before perching down on the side of the large four poster bed that dominates the room. My mind wanders to Farah and I picture her tied to one of those posts.

Sighing, I lie back and close my eyes.

***

Much later, I hear a knock at the door. I don't bother to answer, knowing that no one in my house would dare bother me without a response.

Except I hadn't been counting on Farah.

The door opens giving way to a sudden burst of sunlight. For a Vampire that doesn't need to sleep, I sure seem to do a lot of the stuff.

I try to ignore the returning darkness when she closes the door behind her and the pitter of her feet on the hardwood floors. It's only when I feel the mattress give way to her weight that my eyes dart open.

"I'm sorry," She says, remarkably calmly.

"For what?" I ask, not knowing to what she is referring.

"Disturbing you."

I bark out a quick guff of laughter before allowing myself to lower my head once more to where it had been resting on the bed. I'm surprised by how utterly undisturbed I feel by her presence here in my room.

Reaching for her, I notice that her skin is cold. She shivers against my touch. Exasperated, I reach for the edge of the duvet, pulling it away from where it is tucked beneath the pillows.

"Get in," I tell her.

She does as she's told but then quickly tells me that she probably shouldn't be going to bed at nine in the morning. Her tone is almost sarcastic and it's reminiscent of the angry girl I first met outside the café, after stealing her book.

I pull her back into my arms, now under the covers, and ask her if there's something she'd rather be doing, a smirk on my lips.

We lounge about for the next hour or so before her stomach rumbles and I'm reminded that there are human needs that need to be met. It's been a long time since I last considered the needs or even wants of a human.

"Hungry?" I ask her.

I might be dressed but she's still naked and so I go to my wardrobe and find her something to wear. I hand her one of my t-shirts and a pair of shorts that will undoubtably be too big for her.

She dresses quickly, pulling on the drawstring of the shorts to keep them on her hips. She looks like a little kid in my overlarge clothes, especially with the nervous expression on her face, as if it's only now actually occurred to her that I'm a Vampire.

Taking her hand, I lead her towards the door.

"Where are we going?" She asks, holding back, her feet firm on the ground.

"Aren't you hungry?"

"I..." Her eyes dart between me and the door. "Do you even have food here?"

Chuckling, I nod my head.

"I have human servants."

It's clear from her expression that she's surprised, but she accepts my words none the less and follows me out of the room.