Chapter Nine

Farah

My pace quickens when I hear footsteps behind me. A silly little voice in my mind tells me it is probably Everette and that I don't have to be afraid. Except even if it is him following me, I don't know him well enough to believe that I'm safe.

More than that, I'm almost certain that he is anything but safe. He's the epitome of danger.

And there's still the chance that it's not him.

I've not seen him in days and there's no reason to believe he would randomly show up now.

Looking through the glass of one of the shops I pass, I search for a person in the reflection, I search for HIM. But he's not there. Instead, there's another man. He's younger, bulkier and his face is set in a disapproving frown.

His hands in his pockets, he looks almost bored.

I try to ignore my unease and continue in the direction of my apartment, keeping my attention on the road in front of me.

I take the long route, choosing not to walk down the alley way that would get me home almost ten minutes quicker, opting instead for the well lit high street. All the while, telling myself that the man is not following me. My fingers clutch around my phone in my pocket, shaking slightly.

When he's still walking behind me some five minutes later, my heart begins to pound haphazardly in my chest as I feel panic rise up within me.

The pathing stones are uneven and I stumble.

But I don't fall. There's a hand holding me up, strong and firm and terrifying. I try to pull back but his grip doesn't loosen.

I gulp in as much air as possible, preparing to scream.

Everette

Anger boils away in my stomach as I make my way towards her, completely ignoring the Vampire now hunting my prey. Spotting me, he groans, knowing that any claim he might try to make will be denied.

I might not know him but he certainly knows me.

He begins to slink away back into the more crowded streets, presumably seeking out a replacement meal.

Farah trips and I reach out to stop her falling. It's instinctual. Almost as natural as biting her. Not that that makes sense at all.

She tries to pull away, without even raising her eyes to look at me.

"What are you doing, Farah?" I ask, my voice entertained, a perfect mask for the fury that is still raging within me.

Her eyes dart to mine and I can't tell if she's relieved that it's me that is holding her or terrified. I hope it's the latter.

She doesn't speak. She doesn't look like she knows how to, and her expression is endearing. Not that I'd tell her that.

All the fight seems to fall away from her body and she slumps against me. The sudden warmth surprises me and I enjoy it more than I should as I look down at the now passed out Farah.

I stand still, Farah's limp body in my arms, staring down at her. My eyes rove over her face before settling on her neck. I struggle to ignore the internal demand to bite her now. A jealous possessiveness boiling in my veins.

But I want her awake.

I want to see her squirm, enjoying the sensation of the blood leaving her veins until it's suddenly too late, only then will she try to fight, only when she feels her life coming to its close.

It's an evolutionary advantage that a Vampire's prey cannot resist. With the very first burst of pain, there is a release of endorphins, easing the pain and giving the prey a building sense of euphoria.

With Farah in my arms, my eyes trained on the blood pulsing in the vein just below her skin's surface, it's impossible not to imagine the way she'd react to the ecstasy my bite would give her. How she would cling to me wantonly.

I wouldn't stop. I wouldn't be able to, even if I wanted to.

And then one by one, her veins would begin to collapse and the natural drugs that my bite would give her would no longer be able to function.

Then and only then would she realise that something is wrong. She would start thrashing, scratching and fighting, trying to escape, but it would all be pointless.

It wouldn't last long. As quickly as her fighting would start, it would end. And I'd be left with a corpse, not unlike the limp body in my arms right now.

That idea leaves me feeling surprisingly irked.

Pulling Farah's body closer to my chest, I consider my options. The only thing I know for sure is that I will not wait any longer. It's not because her blood is too tempting but rather that I won't let anyone else anywhere near her.

She's mine.