Dr. Maël Halvorg (Fae) Part 1

"Amai, it's great to hear from you!" You said,  sitting back and sipping a coffee

"Amai, it's great to hear from you!" You said, sitting back and sipping a coffee. You were typing up reports at your desk when she called. "God, it's been forever since we last spoke. How are Yenuno and the children?"

You were surprised to get a call from your old friend while you were working overseas. You and Amai had gone to college together, and while she was getting a law degree in civil rights, you were studying anthropology. You were both in fields specializing in non-humans, which is why you were studying together.

There was a college that offered specific studies in exology, or the study of non-human sentient life, Exanian University. It provided classes in medicine, law, sociology, politics, cultural exo-anthropology, and many other subjects that focused solely on non-humans.

It was established in the early 1890's and originally only taught humans about the nine Established races. The Established were allowed to attend school in the 50's, and during the Neogon rights movement in the 80's, the campus and curriculum was expanded to included education on the newer races that had begun to emerge as well as open its doors to non-humans. In addition, they began to petition and encourage other colleges to offer exological studies. Many alumni of E.U. were now teaching exological studies at other colleges.

You were now a research professor for E.U., studying newly emerged races and reaching out to those shy about integrating. When you first started your career, Amai and the firm where she worked would often help draw up protection papers for the new races until they were formally recognized as a Neogon race and therefore protected under the Neogon act, which granted them the same rights as humans and the Established. Though, as time went on, new races were much rarer, and you hadn't needed their services. The surprise call was the first time you'd spoken in months, and you hadn't seen her face-to-face in eight years.

"They're well, thank you!" She said. "Whereabouts are you these days?"

"Portugal," You replied. "We've had reports that the Encante people may actually exist, and we've been attempting to locate and make contact with them. Unfortunately, because they're underwater creatures, they're ability to shapeshift, and their reputation as seducers in the mythology of the region, it hasn't been an easy task. Although, several people in the local villages claim to have Encantado ancestry, so we're running blood tests to determine the legitimacy of that claim. If they're blood comes back with unidentified DNA, we can start the protected race process. I assume that's why you're calling? You must have heard the news from Song. I sent him an email about drawing up papers a few days ago."

"He did tell me, yes, and that's wonderful news," She replied. "But that's actually not why I'm calling."

"Oh?" You're head rocked back, surprised. "To what do I owe the pleasure, then?"

"Well," She sighed heavily. "The older children are at the developmental stage enough now where they should begin school, and the younger ones could use some help with supplemental skills. But both Yenuno and Dr. Halvorg don't think putting them in a normal school a good idea, so I've been outvoted. At the very least, they need a tutor. I've done what I can on my own, but I'm not a very good teacher. At least, not for fifteen children. Soon to be eighteen, actually."