Dr. Maël Halvorg (Fae; NSFW) Part 2

Halvorg went in for the tests that same week,  returning afterwards subdued and blushing slightly

Halvorg went in for the tests that same week, returning afterwards subdued and blushing slightly. You assumed he'd never given a... sample... before.

"How'd it go?" You asked him.

He rubbed his neck bashfully. "It was... thorough."

You snickered. "At least it wasn't a biopsy after an abnormal pap smear. Those are traumatic."

He looked aghast. "I can only imagine."

"Did they say when the results would be in?"

He shook his head. "No, they're supposed to call me when they come back. Could be a week or so."

You patted his arm softly. "How are you feeling?"

He sighed heavily. "Worried. This could change my life or confirm my worst fear. Either way, I'm... well, to be honest, I'm a little scared."

"I understand," You replied. "Well, no, I don't. My family is disgustingly fertile. If I ever tried to get pregnant, I'm sure it wouldn't take me long." You looked up at him with sympathy. "But I do feel for you."

"I appreciate that," He said solemnly. He looked at you curiously. "If I might ask, how old are you?"

"I'll be one hundred and seventy four years in August," You said.

"And you've never considered having children in that time?" He asked.

"Not really. I figured I had enough nieces and nephews that I didn't think it was necessary. I mean, I'm not against the idea of having children, I've just been career oriented for most of my life and never really settled down in any place for very long. I've never been married, never had any serious relationships, never dating with the intent on finding 'the one.' I figured if I wanted that, it would come in time and I would let it happen naturally and there was no need to rush it. Does that make sense?"

"It does," He said. "That's how I used to be for a good three centuries. It wasn't until I did marry and tried to make a family and failed, again and again, that I sort of became... obsessed."

"How many times have you been married?"

"Thirty times, I believe."

"Were they all human?"

"Most of them were," He said. "There were a couple of tieflings, a half-orc woman, a faun, a selkie, and a dryad. I stayed with them all until the end of their lives, except the last one who left me. I'm nothing if not devoted." He cocked his head. "Well, I divorced the dryad. She wasn't happy that I couldn't conceive children and berated me for it."

"Oh, jeez, what a bitch," You said, frowning.

He snorted. "I may have used similar language at the time."

"I can't imagine you calling someone a bitch," You said, side-eyeing him.

"I was a different man in my youth," He said, smiling. "I've got some papers to file. I'll see you later."