Yenuno and Amai (Four Years Later)

Four years and ten additional children later, I couldn't have been happier with my life. I still lived at the facility, but they had built up my shelter to accommodate me, Amai, and the children, and also had greatly expanded my hunting territory, since the children were depopulating the area allocated to us pretty fast.

Amai still worked for the civil rights firm part time, but she was as devoted to the children as I was. She even took them out of the facility and to a local park to introduce them to children of other races, much to my trepidation. It took a moment of adjustment for everyone involved, but my little ones played with the other children just fine. It was now a weekly occurrence.

There was some sadness, however. Every egg in this year's clutch hadn't taken, and Amai and I had mourned their loss. The children, who were looking forward to more brothers and sisters, were crestfallen as well.

The night after the final egg had died and had been expelled from Amai's body, she cried against me in our nest.

"Don't cry, beloved," I told her. "It happens sometimes."

"I know," She said through her tears. "I'm just so disappointed."

"As am I," I said, holding her close to me, kissing her forehead. "Perhaps you've done too much too quick. You've successfully carried fourteen eggs over the last five years. Perhaps it has put too much strain on your body. Maybe waiting another year or two before trying again would be good for you."

"Maybe," She sniffed. "I... I just... I know how important this is. It feels like I failed you and the kids."

"You've done nothing of the sort," I replied, running my claws carefully through her curls.

"I'm afraid... I'm afraid that I can't carry anymore," She whispered, her tears flowing more quickly. "What will happen if that's the case? Will you... will you have to breed with someone else?"

"No," I said firmly. "No one else. Only you. If the time for us to make more children has passed, then it has passed. I made a vow to be with you and you alone. I won't betray that vow. Or you."

She gripped me tightly. "I love you, Yenuno."

"I love you, Amai."

The next day, Amai and I sat down with Dr

The next day, Amai and I sat down with Dr.Halvorg and explained that she was going to take the next two years off to allow her body to recover from the strain of carrying so many eggs in such a short amount of time. He seemed to understand, but was as disappointed as Amai.

"Are you interested in trying with a different surrogate?" He asked me.

"No," I said. "I will wait for Amai to be ready again. She is the only one I choose to carry my children."

Dr. Halvorg shrugged. "If you say so."

I liked Dr. Halvorg, but he took this project far too seriously. He didn't see why my partnership with Amai should stop me from finding other surrogates to carry more eggs. I wondered if he had ever been in love.