WINNER - What Lies There

Beyond the Village
By  GlennKoerner

Timrah stood at the cavern opening, the tunnel vanishing into the darkness.  He looked back.  In the valley below was a small village of grey stone huts arranged in circular arcs around a central plaza and fountain.  Timrah had lived there for all of his eighteen years, but the law of the village demanded that every child go on a quest beyond the borders of the village when they reached his age in order to prove their worthiness to remain in the village.  Even his position as the first son of the shaman chief didn’t grant him exception, and now was his time to go.

Taking a steadying breath, he faced the dark tunnel that plunged through the mountains surrounding the village and its miles of green fields.  What lay beyond the mountains was unknown to him as those who’d returned were forbidden from speaking of it.  Everyone above the age of eighteen had made such a journey to the outside lands, but Timrah knew there were many who had never returned from the quest.  He didn’t know if they had either found something wonderful and decided to stay or something too perilous to survive.

He suspected it was the latter because if it was wonderful, he couldn’t think of a reason to forbid people from speaking of it.  Also, he couldn’t imagine how going out into a wonderful world and returning would prove his worth to remain in the village.  He reasoned there had to be something out there of a challenging nature, some hardship or menace to overcome, and only by returning alive would he prove his worth.

The multifaceted crystal hanging by a leather cord around his neck glowed slightly green when he took hold of it.  Closing his eyes, he felt the energy of the crystal radiating out into his hand, giving him strength.  Banishing the fear and questions from his mind with only partial success, Timrah took down the spear from across his back, clutched it with both hands, and moved into the tunnel.

As the darkness closed in around him, the sigils carved into the metal blade of the spear glowed a soft blue, illuminating the close walls with frosty light.  The soft leather soles of his boots were nearly silent upon the stone floor, and only his breathing and pounding heart were audible to him.

Forward and deeper the tunnel went.  The slope downward was gradual but enough to notice without being a slip hazard.  From time to time, he would pause, even holding his breath, but no sound reach him.  It seemed he was alone, but something menacing crouched at the edges of his perceptions.  The sensation had only happened a few times, and his father had explained it was his shamanistic power reaching beyond his physical senses to see what couldn’t be seen.

Clutching the crystal of his necklace, Timrah went on.  The light from his spear became less and less noticeable as the cavern began to brighten as he neared the end of the tunnel.  The cavernous passage smelled of dry earth and stone, and it surprised him that he couldn’t smell any fresh air coming from the opening. 

The nagging sensation in his mind continued to grow in intensity, but he was able to ignore it when he saw what lay beyond the tunnel exit.  The rolling hills of what had once been a forest stretched out to the horizon.  The ground was barren, lifeless soil, covered in cracks for lack of moisture.  The blackened trees were dead skeletons, holding their empty branches aloft against ash colored skies.

Climbing the slope to the top of the nearest hill, Timrah crouched near the base of a large tree, trying to keep himself hidden behind the wide trunk.  The presence he had been sensing in the tunnel moved slowly through the desolate valley beyond, it’s plodding feet kicking up clouds of dust.  The creature was nearly eight feet in height but so badly stooped, it practically walked on all fours, its long arms nearly dragging the ground.  Muscles bulged unevenly on its arms, chest and back, making its lower limbs look spindly.  Tatters of cloth or skin, Timrah couldn’t tell which from this distance, were draped across its maroon colored hide.  Large and sharp teeth the length of knives crossed unevenly on the lower half of its face beneath a trio of glowing, sulfurous-yellow eyes.  A blade of sharpened bone, clutched in the overly large right hand of the creature, dragged the ground, leaving a clear trail as to where it had come from.

Timrah suspected his mission was to survive a confrontation with the creature in order to prove his worth, but he didn’t want to rush into anything prematurely.  Besides, his mind was filled with questions.  He wondered about how the lands beyond the mountains were so much nicer than those here.  Could it have always been this way, or had something happened to leave the outside world a blighted wasteland?  He considered the tribal ancestors could’ve escaped, finding sanctuary within the hollow of the mountain range.  None of those possibilities could answer why it was required for the tribe to go outside and prove their worth to remain in the village.

He felt certain something more was going on.  Timrah didn’t plan on going back until he found some answers, one of which was why none of these creatures had ever come back through the tunnel.  Glancing over his shoulder, he discovered the tunnel wasn’t there anymore.

The sudden disappearance of the pathway home startled him, and he moved to head back.  The crystals in his bracelet scratched against the tree.  Timrah halted perfectly motionless up against the rough bark as the creature turned its luminous gaze in his direction.  Timrah could only hope the tree he hid behind was enough cover.  He couldn’t see the creature anymore and couldn’t tell if it had moved on or was silently approaching his position.  Timrah could only wait and listen.