78: Ruby's Gift.

Eight hours – only eight hours were left before Elizabeth leaves. Leo didn't want to go to work but he knows that he had to. It was difficult for Elizabeth as well but she didn't stop him either – although, she badly wanted to. They were going to be away from each other for two weeks – it wasn't too long but it was for Elizabeth. She was finally feeling loved and she didn't want to stay away from him. If she hadn't agreed to help Maria with the wedding preparations – she might have stayed for a few more days but now that she had a responsibility on her shoulders – she had no choice but to leave. But before she goes – she had one important task to complete, so after Leo left for work – promising her that he will take her to the airport – they shared a long and passionate kiss with glossy eyes and aching hearts. Leo finally left for work – leaving Elizabeth alone in this apartment. There were a few things she needed to do before she leaves. The first thing was to check out from her hotel room – she wasn't going to stay there any longer, so after she showered – she took her handbag and took a cab to the hotel where she was supposed to stay but didn't spend much time. She had already fully paid them, so she simply checks out and return the keys before she headed to complete the most important task.

Elizabeth took a cab to a little bakery she wanted to visit. The cab stopped in front of the empty bakery – there wasn't any customer there to receive. Elizabeth heaved a sigh and paid the cab driver before she averted her gaze at Jennifer – quietly mopping the floor. It seemed like she just opened for the day – nevertheless, Elizabeth strode towards the bakery. Jennifer had her back to Elizabeth, so when the door chimed – Jennifer with a smile turned around – expecting a customer but her smile soon faded when she saw Elizabeth, "Oh – uh – hi," she greeted her gently. Jennifer wasn't sure what she was here for – she didn't even think that Elizabeth even liked her – especially after how she behaved with Leo the other day. Elizabeth's eyes roamed around in the bakery – it was a small one with cakes and pastries in the display.

Elizabeth curled her lips in a small smile, "Hi, how are you?" she asked her. Jennifer sighed and shrugged and looked around the empty bakery, "Not so great – obviously," she chuckled – trying to cover up the affliction. Elizabeth didn't chuckle back – she just forced herself to smile softly. Jennifer blew out her cheeks, "So, what brings you here?" She asked. Elizabeth licked her lower lip and finally spoke, "I am here to talk about Maria's wedding –" Elizabeth didn't even complete her sentence when Jennifer sniggered and waved her hand dismissively, "I know – and I get that. Honestly, I stopped working and thinking about it after my foolish mistake. I completely get it that you don't want me to work for the wedding and that completely acceptable, so if you are here to inform me that – you don't have to – I already know," she spoke. Elizabeth could sense the frustration in her view but she didn't have to be so frustrated if she would have let Elizabeth complete.

Elizabeth exhaled, "Jennifer, will you please let me complete?" She asked her. Jennifer didn't speak – she just wordlessly nodded her head – looking away from Elizabeth. Elizabeth smashed her lips together and continued with what she was telling Jennifer, "That is not why I am here," she started. "I was going to say that Maria's wedding is two weeks from today that is on Sunday as well, so is it possible for you to make it to New York at least four days before the wedding? You are not only doing the cake but also some of the snacks for the reception as well – so I am sure you will need some extra days to prepare for them," Elizabeth paused. Jennifer jerked her head to look at Elizabeth – she couldn't believe her ears. Here she thought she lost the job but here was the girlfriend of the guy she fell for offering the job. Elizabeth sighed and took a cheque out of her handbag and passed it to Jennifer, "This is the advance payment for everything – the other fifty percent will be paid to you after the wedding, is that okay with you?" She asked.

Jennifer looked down at the cheque in Elizabeth's hand before she looked back at her, "Why?" Jennifer whispered as her eyes were getting glossy with tears. Elizabeth shrugged, "What do you mean by why? It is how it should be done – and I am sure that was an agreement between you and Maria as well that you will be paid half in advance for your service," She replied to Jennifer – although, Elizabeth knew that Jennifer didn't mean this when she asked why but Elizabeth wasn't sure how else to explain it to her that even though, she was bothered by what she tried to pull with Leo and how she was the one who broke Freddie and Elizabeth up – even it was for the best and Jennifer was as unaware as her – she wasn't a heartless witch some people might think she is. She knows that Jennifer was good at her job and Maria personally hired her – firing her just because of her jealousy will not make things right for any one of them.