Chapter Eleven

Hero

By the time Hero finished writing the letter that would help release Josephine from their marriage, he judged that she'd had sufficient time to freshen up. He crossed the hall and tapped on the door, identifying himself. His leg ached some from the long, hard day of travel, but he needed the cane much less today.

He entered when Josephine called permission. Even in her worn, ill-fitting gown, his bride looked thoroughly delectable. The shining dirty blonde hair that fell past her shoulders was a good deal better than passable, and her delicate features and flawless complexion made him want to touch her.

In fact, he wanted rather intensely to cross the room and take her in his arms, but her withdrawn expression made it clear that she was not in the mood. The fact that she had invited him into her bedroom without hesitation was progress enough for this day. "I'm just across the hall. Near, yet too far."

She gave a swift smile. "We really can't sleep together here since we're not precisely married. I hope the night isn't too cold."

"Two or three more days and we'll be legal in the eyes of the world." Even though they'd only shared a bed for two nights, tonight he would miss having her there. He handed her the letter he had just written. "As you requested."

She unfolded the paper and scanned the brief lines. "Very good. Thank you." Expression unreadable, she set the letter aside and began pinning back her hair. He hoped that after they were married, she might consider a less austere style.

"I didn't know George had a brother," she remarked.

"Jack is the son of an actress, and the reason why George ended up at Westerfield," Hero explained.

"I've wondered about that," she said, her hands moving swiftly as she tamed her hair into severity. "It's easy to see why the rest of your lot was sent to a school for difficult boys, but it's hard to imagine George as a serious troublemaker."

"Jack's mother died when he was quite young, so he was sent to his father's house where Lord Anderson could decide what to do with him," Hero explained. "George, who is a couple of years older, became very attached to his little brother. I think their father would have preferred to send Jack to a foster home where he could be forgotten, but George wouldn't allow that. He refused to go away to school unless Jack could come, too. As you say, George isn't a troublemaker by nature."

"Unlike you," Josephine said with that quick smile again.

"Unlike me," Hero agreed, amused. "But he can be quite remarkably stubborn. Lord Anderson wasn't keen on sending his bastard to a fashionable school like Eton or Harrow, so the Westerfield Academy was a good alternative."

"Mr Anderson was fortunate to have George for a champion." Josephine ruthlessly pinned down the last blonde waves. "But he seemed rather disrespectful about his brother. Flippant."

"That's just Jack. He would give his life for George without a second thought. Mocking all the way. " Hero offered his arm. "Shall we go down?"

She tucked her hand around his arm. He loved these small signs that they were now a couple.

"Why did Oliver and Jack look so surprised at the idea of your marrying?" she asked as they left the room.

"I used to be quite vehement that I'd never take a wife, particularly if doing so would gratify my Uncle Damien." He smiled wryly. "It was only recently that I recognized how foolish it would be to deny myself something I wanted merely because he wanted it, too."

"The unglamorous wisdom of maturity." They shared a warm glance. As they headed for the stairs, he said, "I think it best to explain to Oliver and Jack that Damien is after you, and why. Shall I do the talking?"