Chapter Twenty Six

Josephine

Preparing for her introduction to London society kept Josephine busy during the next several days, though nights were rather lonely. She liked sharing a bed with her husband, even during warm weather. When winter arrived, he'd be indispensable.

Four days after Hero left, she received a letter from him, delivered by Elsa on the morning tea tray. He said briefly that affairs at Roscombe were being sorted out and he looked forward to bringing her there soon.

She smiled ruefully after reading it. The man was a soldier and protector of a high order. She shouldn't expect romantic words from him as well. At least this note was a little more personal than the one he wrote the morning he left.

Josephine and Rose had a shopping trip planned for the day. Officially the goal was for Josephine to buy some small items she needed, but mostly the trip was for fun. Christopher had set up an account at his bank so Josephine now had pin money. She would have access to her full inheritance in a month or two.

Her brother reported that their father was enraged, but Castleton had no legal right to block his daughter's inheritance. Plus, the family lawyers prudently recognized that the future lay with Lord Stoneleigh, so they didn't throw spurious roadblocks in the way.

After dressing, she moved into her private parlor. Formerly a bedroom with a connecting door to Hero's sitting room, the space was now dedicated to Josephine's use. After the bed was removed, Rose and Josephine had raided the attic for furnishings. Her new parlor was a charming room done in shades of cream and rose, and it was slightly larger than Josephine's main living space at the cottage in Hartley.

She sat down at her delicate French writing desk and glanced over her shopping list. Someday she would take money in her purse for granted, but now it was a delicious luxury. If she'd lived her whole life within the aristocratic circles in which she'd been born, she would never have fully realized how lucky she was.

Josephine was about to head downstairs for breakfast when sunlight touched her wedding ring, illuminating the swirling Celtic patterns molded into the gold. A thought struck her, so she rang for Gordon.

The valet appeared almost immediately. "Do you have a task for me, my lady?" he asked hopefully. "I've had little to do."

She laughed. "Surely educating Elsa about the household is keeping you busy." He smiled. "Yes, but I feel I'm not fulfilling my duty to the major."

"When he returns, he'll need you to make him handsome for London society."

Gordon shook his head. "He needs no help to be handsome. I merely make sure his clothes look good."

Very true. Hero was amazingly handsome no matter what he wore. Or didn't wear. Reminding herself to stick to business, Josephine said, "I want to buy a ring for my husband. Can you supply me with a ring that the jeweler can use for sizing?"

"I shall get one straight away." Gordon bowed and withdrew, returning a few minutes later with a gold Signet ring.

Josephine tucked the ring in her reticule. Hero had done so much for her. She wanted to give him a token of her appreciation in return.

As an Felix's footman took possession of a wrapped bundle of silk stockings, Josephine observed, "I'd forgotten how convenient it is to have someone carry everything."

"And deliver it to our carriage, which is well on its way to being full, I suspect. Not that I haven't contributed my share to filling it!" Rose covered a yawn with one hand. "I'm tiring easily these days. Have we reached the end of your shopping list?"