Chapter Twenty Two

Josephine

Josephine emerged from Tiffin Manor jangling with nerves. "That was the strangest tea party of my life," she said after their carriage door closed and the vehicle rumbled into the late afternoon traffic. She pulled off her bonnet and ran stiff fingers through her hair, displacing several of the pins.

"Strange indeed." Hero's expression was as impenetrable as when they first met in Hartley. "How is Lady Alice's health?"

"Reasonable. The baby is very active and close enough to term that it will likely survive even if born early." Josephine thought of the lively kicks she'd felt at the countess's invitation. "Beyond that, I can't say. There seems to be a weakness in Damien's seed that has prevented him from fathering a truly healthy child."

"Is the countess in danger? She seemed very worried."

"She's terrified that the delivery will kill her." Josephine pulled the shawl Lady Alice had given her more closely around her shoulders. "And it could, of course. Much can go wrong."

"You said you'd delivered many women safely at her age."

"Yes, but I've also lost some." Sometimes Josephine dreamed-or had nightmares-of patients who had died. One's best wasn't always good enough. "Lady Alice was gravely ill after her last miscarriage. This delivery will probably be harder on her."

"What about the expensive physician Damien has engaged?" Hero said rather dryly. "His precious heir will surely get the best care possible."

"Sir Richard Croft has an excellent reputation. He's been bleeding her and he has her on a reducing diet. It's not what I would recommend." Josephine frowned. "I know that having male physicians in attendance is the fashion, but a competent midwife is as good or better than a physician. Of course, I'm biased."

"A woman would have more respect for the territory," Hero said with a faint smile. "I hope the countess comes through. I'm amazed that any woman would want Damien for a husband, but she seems to see him clearly and still likes him." He shook his head. "Women truly are extraordinary."

Josephine laughed. "Men and women are so often mysteries to each other. I succumbed to vulgar curiosity and asked why she married him. She was quite candid. She found him attractive in a Byronic sort of way."

"Byronic?" Hero asked incredulously.

"As you say, women can be odd creatures, and they're often attracted to powerful men. After her ladyship was widowed, she didn't feel ready to languish into embroidery and good works. Marrying Damken made her a countess, with wealth and influence. That also appealed to her, of course."

"Of course." His dryness had increased.

Josephine's thoughts moved from the countess's health to the implications for Hero. "Are you upset to be displaced and disowned?"

"I think we've done rather well." His profile was like marble as he glanced out at the crowded street. "Between us, we've been disowned by two of the most powerful men in England within the space of three days."

"My father had virtually disowned me a dozen years ago, so hearing the words doesn't change my situation," she pointed out. "But you've not only been disowned, but likely lost an earldom. That does make a difference."

Outside, an upraised Cockney voice shouted at another driver. Several rounds of insults were exchanged before Hero said, "I was getting used to the idea of becoming the next earl. There was a kind of justice to it." He turned from the window and took her hand. "I would have liked to make you a countess."