Chapter 1

It's been a few months since she was forcefully placed in Panem. Being a witch helped her settle and gather information, but now she couldn't really use most of her magic.

Her wand, which was made of ebony with dragon heartstring, sadly cracked into pieces after being practically abused by its master. Amynta admitted that she used too much magic, putting a strain on her wand which already had a slight crack down the middle when she first fell. It crumbled to tiny splinters of wood in front of her very eyes. She still kept the pieces though, for memories.

But it didn't mean she couldn't use magic at all. Being her father's daughter, Amynta Snape was a great Legilimens, and this helped her gather much information about this world. She could also transform into her animagus form since it doesn't need a wand. She also brew potions time to time. The Sleeping Draught was bought on a regular basis by the Victors. 

Everyone was kind to her, pitying the 15 year old orphan who lost her parents at sea. The shopkeepers always gave her something extra when she came. And she always responded with a slight smile with herbs or ointments they needed. 

Today was the day of the Reaping. The entire district had eerie silence hanging heavily like a fog.

Putting on a simple blue dress, Amynta put her hair in a loose braid and went to the square to line up with other girls. There were five slips in the bowl that contained her name so she didn't pay much attention.

"...and may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, as always, ladies first."

Millie, the escort of district 4, went over to the glass bowl and fished out a piece of paper.

"Our female tribute for this year's Hunger Games.... Amynta Snape!"

She put on a cold sneer as she stepped up to the podium. Of course it was her name that Millie pulled out. Someone hexed her to be as unfortunate as possible, that's for sure.

"Good! Very good! Now, our male tribute is... Ethan Hale!"

A tall boy with a lean build stepped up. He looked a bit nervous, but stood with his head held high. Amynta glanced at him for a short while as the mayor drone on about how the Hunger Games were to maintain peace between the Capitol and the districts. She zoned out until she had to shake hands with Ethan.

They were soon herded off to their train to Capitol, where they met their mentors, Mags and Finnick. They both nodded to Amynta, since they visited her apothecary often for ointments and medicines.

"Tell us now if you want to be mentored separately. But I won't do that if I were you. District partner is the closest thing you have for ally. You would have higher chance of survival if you two stick together," Finnick said, making both tributes look at each other.

"I'm fine with being mentored together," Amynta said.

"Me too."

"Then what are you two good at?"

Amynta frowned, thinking. 

"I know a lot about herbs and medicines. I can patch myself up if I get injured. I also got good reflexes, nimble fingers, but that's not going to get me anywhere."

"How about weapons?"

She shook her head. 'Unless poison is considered as a weapon,' she thought, but decided to leave it out. Something to protect herself against Ethan when the time comes.

Ethan was no better. Amynta read his mind a while ago and found out that he worked in a clothing store his father owned. He could carry heavy loads, but that's about it. She decided not to worry about him.

Finnick walked around them slowly, examining their posture and muscles.

"Ethan, you need to be more confident. You look like you are too afraid of something and that will do you no good. Amynta, go for the sarcastic teen and win the sponsors over. The look you had when you were reaped was something Capitol would like. They love a witty remark."

"Sarcastic, witty, cynical. Right that should be easy," snorted Amynta. It was easy enough for her. Those were her family traits that she got from her father.

Mags motioned them to eat, indicating that they needed the strength when they got to Capitol. 

Amynta sat down and pulled a plate of pasta towards her. She was hungry, and the food looked good as Hogwarts' feast. It was much better than salty seaweed bread they always made in District 4.