Prologue

Danny

The moon's out tonight. Full and bright; perfect for a run with my pack.

As always, Dad's leading the run. We won't hunt tonight. That's saved for special occasions; tonight is just for us to enjoy the freedom our wolf bodies give us.

Dad comes to a stop in a clearing, and I pull up behind him; Mom and Scott, who's back for the weekend from OU, trot alongside us. Off in the distance, I can hear the other families howling and yipping at each other. It's a good night for all of us. Fall's coming, and so is hunting season, which means we won't be allowed as much freedom to roam as we do in the summers.

I shake my black fur to help clear my head; it's been a long summer and demanding season of football so far. But, more importantly, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not fully straight...no one but me knows that yet, but I'm sure Dad can sense something's off.

Dad gives a growl to get our attention, and the four of us run off deeper into the woods. Someday I'll tell him; eventually, I'll find someone special. But, until then, I'll run free.

*******
Theo

"Look, kid. You've gotta talk to me," groans the social worker, and she pulls her hair up out of her face for a second. "You've got two black eyes, bruises up and down your body, and there's a hole in the wall the size of your body. Just tell us what happened."

I shake my head and wipe away a tear. I don't know why I'm protecting him. Dad's never been there to protect me. I'm protecting him cause foster care is a fate worst than this. I learned that 3 years ago, when I got taken away from him the second time, my foster brother taught me many things a 13-year-old shouldn't have to know, but I got away from him in the end.

This time it's worse....this time, Dad might be the fate worse than death.

I sigh out, " ok. I'll tell you, but I can't go back to him. I can't this time."

She looks at me with a sad smile, "you won't, honey. The police found a lot of....stuff in your apartment. So you're Dad's going to be goin' away for a while."

I nod my head, "I figured he'd get arrested at some point."

She nods, "yes. Whoever called in that tip on him did the right thing."

"Ok...I guess foster care is better than being killed. Can I make a request about the type of family?" I say with a weak smile....trying hard to see the bright side of the shit storm.

"No long-term foster home for you," she says. "I found your uncle. Your Mom's brother. He's gonna come pick you up in a couple of days. You'll be safe there. Now let the paramedics check you out, and then I want you to tell me what happened."

I nod and lean back as the paramedic starts checking me out.

My uncle.... whose name I don't even remember, is coming to get me. I can't even remember the last time I saw him, but I know he has kids. Mom always said that my cousin and I were born just a few weeks apart. He was a thanksgiving baby, and I was a Christmas baby...I think his name is Brian, maybe...

If it'll keep me away from Dad and help me escape my shitty life here, I'll take it. It'll do until I'm out of high school and figure out my next step. Then, maybe I'll find someone to go on an adventure with....move to Alaska or something.