Chapter 18

Danny-

The interview seems to be going well. I know Sheriff and Mrs. Collins were nervous at the start, but they've calmed down as the questions went on. So now he's in the other room with them, and she's wrapping the most amazing-smelling dinner.

I'm listening to the interview now. Theo's bragging about the schools that are interested in him. I'm proud of the guy. He's earned the attention.

"Oregon...Washington...DU out in Colorado," he says with a smile and a pause before he continues, "oh and Vegas. I've been looking at schools there."

"Oh shit," I mumble to myself. Or at least I think it was to myself. Bryce and his mom both stop moving. I'm about to apologize when she brushes by me to go to the door, and Bryce gives me a look.

Theo just flipped the switch on his Aunt and Uncle.

"Oh really?" Says the lady as she stands up for the tour, "what made you think of that city?"

"Oh, I just like the city. It seems like it would be fun to live there. I mean, that pyramid building looks like a lot of fun. Right, Uncle Mason?" Says Theo as they walk out into the hall.

Sheriff Collins is clearly shocked but tries to play it off, "uh yeah... It can be fun. We gotta lot to talk about between you and Bryce."

"I agree. Should be fun," says Theo. "I'll show you the upstairs first." The next thing I hear is a pair of footsteps up the stairs, and sheriff Collins comes in and signals for his wife to come with him.

At this point, even Jackson and Mandy know something's up, and we all wait quietly. I can hear Theo upstairs with my normal hearing. He's really putting on a show, but I focus on the adults in the other room.

"I didn't tell him, Mason," groans Mrs. Collins.

"Then how would he know?" Snaps the Sheriff.

"I don't know. Maybe he heard us. Maybe he's just randomly interested in Vegas. Maybe it's a sign that you were wrong?" She says back, and I hear her moving towards the door.

"I'm not. I talked to Jenny that day, remember?" He says in a grim voice.

"Yes, and you said it didn't go well," says his wife.

"Yeah...cause she doesn't want to see Theo....she's clean and sober and to quote her...'I don't know if seeing him will help me stay that way. I'd rather not risk it,'" he says quietly. Holding back tears.

"Oh god," I say out loud, and they all look at me. Brenden's been listening too. I can see it on his face. Bryce wants to know what's up cause he knows I'm listening, and Mandy and Jackson look confused. "I...I just remembered I have a test to study for, and I don't wanna do it."

Jackson shrugs and eats out of the pot on the stove. I look at my bro and shake my head. I'll tell him later.

I turn back to the conversation, "I know I need to tell him, but how do you tell a kid his mother's Alive and doesn't want him? How do you not want a kid like Theo?" Sighs the Sheriff. 

"Mason. It's not that easy....she's actually being smart about it. If she comes back into his life and relapses, he'll be in a worse position than before," says Mrs. Collins. "I hate to say it, but I'm proud of her."

He doesn't say anything and just leaves the room. When he comes out, it's clear he's trying to hold it together, and Mrs. Collins looks annoyed.

The social worker lady comes into the kitchen for a second, "it was a pleasure to see you all again. I'll have my report by the end of next week, but I'll say that I'm sorry I misjudged you. You have a lovely home."