Chapter 9

Theo-

"Hey Theo," says Uncle Mason with a knock on my door.

I pull my headphone out and look up at him. "What's up?"

He shrugs, "just wanted to chat. See how you're doing? Are you ready for next week?"

I feel the grimace cross my face. Next week is thanksgiving. Next week is Bryce's birthday, but he's talking about Dad's trial. I have to be there as the prosecutor could call me as a witness. They say they have a strong case overall, but if they need to, they can...so I have to go to Seattle and sit in the courtroom with the man who abused me.

"I....I....," words escape me. I really don't know what to think.

"Hey. It's ok. They might not call you," he chirps. "You're gonna be ok. At the end of all of this, you're going to be ok. I promise."

"But.." I croak out. I didn't even realize I was tearing up. "But what if he gets off. Won't I go back to him?"

Uncle Mason's face tells me he wasn't expecting me to be worried about that. He takes a seat on my bed. "No way. Tasha and I are ready to fight for you. I won't let that happen."

I nod and wipe my face and try and think of a subject change, "I should finish this up before dinner."

He nods and looks at my desk, and whistles at my books. "I checked your grades the other day on the school's site. I'm disappointed that you're lowest grade is a 97. Feels like you can do better."

I give him a weird look, and for a second, he looks serious before his face cracks, and he starts laughing. I can't help but join in as the tension in the room eases for a second.

Through the laughs, I say, "I'm smart. what can I say." 

He's smiling as he stands up, "that you are. Ok, wrap up and come down for dinner."

I nod and turn back to my Bio homework. The magic of photosynthesis awaits me.

That is until I hear another knock on my door. I turn, expecting Uncle Mason again, but it's Bryce.

"Hey," I say with a smile. "What's the best wide receiver in Oregon need from me today?"

He caught the winning pass during yesterday's game. Thrown by the sexy as hell Daniel Madison. The pair of them dominated the game...when the Seniors weren't out on the field winning their final state championship.

He gives me a modest smile and shakes his head, "nothing really. I have to walk Mrs. Carson's Dog today for her. Wanna come?" I look at my homework.

I nod and close my book. It's Thanksgiving Break anyways. I just wanted to get it all done.

We tell his parents where we're going, and Uncle Mason smiles at us bonding.

He runs over to Mrs. Carson's house ahead of me. It's a lovely fall day, cool and crisp. Perfect for a walk. Mrs. Carson lives next door across the grassy path into the forest.

When he comes out with the sweetest-looking chocolate lab, I can't help but smile. "I love this dog. He's so sweet."

Bryce laughs, " he's a good boy for sure. Isn't that right, Riker."

"Massive points for her being a Star Trek Nerd," I say with a grin.

"Oh, that was her son. He lives in Portland now," says Bryce. "He was a cool dude. Like six years older than us, but he was cool."

I'm intrigued by this "cool" person, "what makes him cool? It sounds like you have a crush."

He stops and laughs really hard for a second, "He had a muscle car, got a tattoo at 18, he taught me how to sneak into the house one night and let me smoke with him once or twice."