Chapter 8

Danny

"Dude. Go long," I shout to Bryce just before I release the ball.

Bryce and I have been playing together since elementary school; we just get each other because of that bond. He catches the Hail Mary pass and returns the ball with his own powerful throw.

As I jump to catch it, I see Theo walking out onto the field with Jackson and Jessica. I come down and head over to them. Bryce sees them and heads that way too.

He's closer, so he starts talking to the three of them, but I can hear the whole conversation. 

"I'm gonna take the nerd squad home. They're bored," says Jessica in her usual tone.

"Wow," says Theo and Jackson in the same tone. Then, Theo adds, "I play sports too." Jackson says, "Same."

Bryce laughs, and Jessica says, "whatever you know, I love you. But I got them. Didn't want you freaking out."

I see Theo checking me out subtly as I get to the group, and I trip a little. I don't know why I lose it when he's around. I've had other people crush on me. And I've crushEd on other people. Hell, I've crushed on people crushing on me. This is different.

Theo laughs slightly at my misstep, but he's the only one that noticed, thankfully.

Bryce turns to me, "they wanna head home now."

I nod, "ok, cool. Coach says he wants to talk to the team about some stuff for the game tomorrow, but that shouldn't take too long." I look over my shoulder, and the rest of the team is starting to pack up. Coach ran us hard today but ended it with free practice. So basically, work on your skills and chat. We've worked hard this season and earned it.

Jessica nods, "I'll drop them off, then you two can bro out."

Bryce jumps on this, "done. Thanks, Jess. We need a good bro hang before the game tomorrow."

I nod and stretch out my back a bit. Theo's staring, and I realize my abs are showing. They all turn and leave, and I walk with Bryce back to the locker room. "I thought you and Megan would have something tonight?"

He shakes his head, "Nah. I told her this weekend was for the team. I wanted to scoop you up before Theo stole you away." I laugh but stop when I see his face. He says in a quiet voice, "we haven't been hanging out that much. You and Theo are like attached at the hip."

"You sound a bit jealous," I say with a smirk.

He shrugs, "what if I am?"

He heads off to the lockers, and I stop to talk to Coach Martins, a fellow wolf.

"Madison. Is your Dad going to be there tomorrow?" He asks gruffly. 

"That's the plan...unless something else shows up," I say. A nice simple code word for us to discuss that rogue shifter.

"Good. I need to chat with him about some rumblings I've heard from Seattle," he says back.

"Anything I can pass on?" I ask hopefully. Scott's more likely to be elected Alpha in the future, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be a part of the pack's future.

He shakes his head with a smile, "not today, Danny boy. However, I will say your math grade is coming up nicely. C- the last time I checked."

I feel a smile cross my face. "Thanks, coach. Bryce's cousin's been tutoring me, and it's working."

"I'm proud of you," he says and slaps my shoulder. He pushes past me to the rest of the team. "Alright, boys. Be back here by 8 am. The bus leaves at 9 for Portland. The game's at 2. With your skills this time tomorrow, we'll be two-time state champs."