22| Bakery

Chapter 22: Bakery (Ace's POV)

"You don't want to go to work? You?" My dad looked at me in disbelief while we both sat at the table. 

"I just got married, don't you think she'll be upset?" 

"Oh, I do. I just don't think you'd care." 

I frowned, "Why wouldn't I?" 

"Because you're you," he scoffed. 

I stared at him. 

"You don't have feelings for her, do you?" 

"No," I huffed, leaning back in my seat. "But it's important that she has feelings for me, father dearest." 

"Why?" 

"So she doesn't do me wrong." 

He eyed me carefully. "What did you do that would make her want to wrong you?" Oh, that's right, he doesn't know I killed Chase. 

"Nothing. But that doesn't mean she likes me. She hates what we do, she hates what her father does. She won't open up to me if I continue being who I am." 

"So you'll give her a lie instead? It won't last, Ace. She can't love you if you do that." 

"Well, she can't love me if she sees who I really am either, can she?" 

He rolled his eyes. "Do you forget that none of us are how we show ourselves in business? That's not who you are, don't get confused. Show her who you are. Outside of business." 

"Whatever. To do that, I need to spend time with her. Which means I need to be home with her, which means you need to run Delirium for a few days." 

He sighed, "All right. I'll run it for a few days." We both looked at the doors where Gianna walked through with her hair mostly dry but still a little damp. "Hello," my dad grinned at her. 

"Hello," she chuckled, falling into the seat beside mine. 

"Do you both have any plans for today?" Dad asked, looking between us while breakfast was served. 

She shook her head. 

"You're not going to work, Gianna?" 

"No," she replied. "My dad said I should take at least a week off after the wedding. So, I'm not working until next week, actually." 

"Oh, that's good then. Ace isn't going to work either." 

She looked at me. "You're not?" 

I shook my head. 

"I told you though, you don't have to stay home because of me." She reached for the apple juice. 

I grabbed it before her, pouring some into a glass for her. "And I told you I want to." 

She eyed me for a moment before we all started eating. After breakfast, my dad left for Delirium and we were left with nothing to do. "Can I bake?" 

I blinked in surprise. "Can you bake?" 

She nodded, smiling. "I want to bake brownies. You're free to join." 

"In that case, I will." I followed her into the kitchen, which was empty since our housemaid already did all the chores in the kitchen. 

"Do you know where everything is?" she asked. 

"No, maybe we should call—" 

"We'll find it." I watched her while she opened each cabinet and found all the ingredients, setting them on the kitchen island. "Aren't you going to help?" She washed her hands while looking at me.