Cold Relapse

(Russia POV)

Hello? Is anybody there?

"The sealing sequence is now complete. All vitals are stable."

What? What's going on? Where am I?

"Ready to transport, make sure that the chamber is secure."

I feel nothing. Am I dead? Why can't anybody hear me?

"Despicable! To think that the enemy would strike right then and there."

That's right- we were fighting someone...

"Bring him up now. The hospital is ready to take him in now."

"Since the right side of his face had almost been completely destroyed, it's recovery will take the most time."

"Wake up, Russia. I'm here now."

My eyes snapped open in an instant but for the first few moments, I couldn't see anything. Lights and shadows danced through my vision and I winced as a terrible wave of nausea washed over me. After a few moments, things became a bit more bearable and I tried again. First, everything was just blurry outlines but gradually, things became clear.

I was lying face up in a hospital bed without even remembering exactly how I got here.

I remembered our journey to Earth. I remembered being ambushed by a nameless enemy. I remembered being swallowed by azure flames. I remembered the distant shrieks of someone close as I sunk into unconsciousness... and then nothing more. The rest were just tiny bits and pieces of conversations that floated by.

"Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out later," I thought to myself as I let out a very long sigh. As far as I could tell, my body was numb and heavy. I felt tired but I had been unconscious for who knows how long and I wasn't willing to fall asleep again. Perhaps even a bit scared.

Luckily, a nurse chose this moment to enter the room. She was at the door when we made eye contact and after a moment of staring, she immediately rushed over and called the doctors over.

...

Once the commotion died down and all the doctors left, I was helped up into a seated position by the nurse who also took the liberty of finally answering the questions I had.

"What happened to me? How long was I out?" I rasped with difficulty. My voice was ragged and husky like I hadn't spoken in a long while. It also explained the stiff aching of my body.

"It's been a little under two weeks since you were moved into the building. As for your first question," the nurse paused as if collecting her thoughts, "all I know is that you were almost beyond repair when we first got to you."

She reached over and parted the bandages that were wrapped around my arms and revealed thin, glowing blue cracks that ran across my skin.