Chapter 5 - The Fifth Night

It was a pleasant Thursday night. Draco had a whirling few days. He had finally turned in his Arithmancy homework and essay for Charms. He was ready to sit back and relax.

Actually, not quite. At least not yet.

"Drake, what are you doing?" Pansy asked, already in pre-shriek mode.

"Eating," he replied, between mouthfuls of dinner.

"Mate, you're practically wolfing down the food. Slow down," Blaise said.

"Got a thing," Draco said thickly before swallowing his last bite of mashed potatoes, hurled up his bag, and rushed out of the Great Hall.

Casting a Bubble-head Charm on himself, he pushed open the owlery door, not minding the creak since it was not yet past curfew.

Some owls tilted their heads curiously at him, before going back to minding their own business. He spotted Acacia. The tawny owl peered down beadily at him.

"Here," Draco said to her as he approached her little landing of space. He dug out a whole pot of extra-meaty-flavored Willow's Premium Owl Treats as a peace offering, before heading the other way and tending to Harrison.

Acacia narrowed her pupils as Draco stroked Harrison's feathery head. Draco purposedly took out a salmon owl treat and fed it to him- Acacia despised the salmon-flavored ones.

Draco waited for a full five minutes before doing anything else. When Acacia didn't fly his way to attack him or circle around his head to plant some droppings in his hair, he figured the prepared peace offering was good enough for her. Sure enough, Acacia ruffled her feathers airily before nibbling on the bowl of meaty treats Draco had given her. No owl swooped down to ask for a share. He figured Acacia had already established her status in the owlery long ago.

Draco held out a finger and Harrison hopped onto it, hooting gracefully as Draco conjured a desk next to the window. With a strong enough Bubble-head Charm to block out the smell, the owlery was actually a pretty nice place for writing. It had a great view from the window, overlooking Hogwarts' grounds. It was a tiny little niche to him.

Draco fished out his admirer's letter from Tuesday.

Dear Draco,

Good evening :). Thank you so much for understanding yesterday. You're a really thoughtful and considerate person.

Today was a drag. Double Potions. You were there, but I figured you loved it. I watched you for a bit (I'm so sorry if this comes off as creepy, it's just regular staring, and only for a teeny tiny little while, I swear!). The way your eyebrows furrow just a tiny bit but not quite is really cute. Have you plucked your eyebrows recently? It certainly seems like you have.

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

He had been too busy to write and the guilt was getting under his skin. He finally got a free night and he hoped the admirer would understand for his late reply.

Dear Anonymous Gryffindork,

Evening :). Sincerest apologies for the late reply, I was too busy for the past two days. Hope you don't think I'm a jerk for doing so... I finally got a free night now, if you're up for it, we can chat for a while :D.

It's not creepy, I totally understand staring at crushes (I've got... quite some experience). It's actually kinda cute that you're telling me all this :).