Chapter 10 - The Owlery

Draco laid sprawled on his four-poster bed and sighed contentedly. He got an O on the Charms essay and his secret admirer was talking to him again. Life was pretty great.

His admirer hadn't owled since Sunday but Draco didn't worry about it too much, it was only Thursday. He was in the mood for a chat though. He checked his watch. Half-past nine, the perfect time to disillusion himself and sneak to the owlery.

He shuddered a little as he gathered supplies, thinking about his last visit to the owlery. He had gone Monday night, trying to smooth things over with Acacia with a jumbo bowl of meaty premium owl treats. She jabbed him in the nose with her sharp beak and snatched away the whole pot. Thank Merlin for the dittany.

Draco made his way up the familiar spiral staircase, a bag jumbling with parchment, quill, ink, and treats in his arms. When he got to the final landing, the door was already slightly ajar.

He silenced the door, just in case, and gently pushed it open.

"Good boy, I knew you'd still take those!" he heard a voice coo and chuckle gently. It sounded horribly familiar.

He looked straight ahead and stifled a gasp.

Potter was feeding Harrison. Potter- Potter?!

He felt like someone just smacked him in the forehead and he dropped his disillusioned bag in surprise. It landed in a huge 'thunk.'

Potter whipped around.

"Homenum Revelio!"

Draco jumped as a tingling sensation rushed through his body. His jaw dropped in horror as he became no longer invisible. His bag was still perfectly blended in with the floor of the barn.

Potter's mouth also fell open in shock. "M- Malfoy?"

"Erm! Hi!" he squeaked.

Potter stared at him.

"You- you didn't see- did you see?"

"Yeah," Draco coughed out, all blood drained from his body.

They gazed at each other. Grey eyes holding piercing green ones.

"All- all this time? You?" Draco asked, finally, his voice barely a whisper.

Potter swallowed. "Yes," he admitted hoarsely.

Draco swore he blacked out for a second. "But- but, you can't be, I- I-" he stammered, sucking in a breath. "I thought you wanted to be an Auror?" he spluttered out, finally.

"I used to. But after the war, I realized I wanted to be a Healer much more than an Auror. Dedicate me to saving lives."

Potter's voice was extremely low.

"Oh." Draco blinked, trying to organize his thoughts. "I ruled you out," he said quietly, more to himself than to Potter.

He saw Potter's face fall. "Did you... not want him to be me?"

Draco's head snapped up. "No," he replied quickly.

"No, not at all. I... I wanted him to be you. Too much."

Potter's gaze lifted. There was a spark of hope in his eyes. "Really?" he croaked.

"Yeah," Draco forced himself to reply, aware that his cheeks were flaming hot.

"I... I never knew."

"Neither did I."

They were both silent. Even Harrison stopped nibbling on his Eeylop's treat.

"How... how long?" Potter whispered, breaking the silence.

Draco looked him directly in the eye. "Since I first laid eyes on you," he said firmly.

Potter's step faltered and he stumbled a bit. Draco shot out a hand to steady him. Both of their eyes trailed simultaneously to Draco's grip on his arm.

Draco quickly let go and Potter's arm dropped dramatically, both avoiding each other's gaze.

"So... um, Harrison's your owl?" Draco asked, toying around with the subject.

"Yeah. Harry's son. Harrison."

"Ah."

They both fell silent again. Draco's heart was beating a mile a minute and he felt faint. Seriously? His fantasy coming true in an owlery? Really, Merlin?

He felt Potter step forward and brush the back of his hand lightly with his fingertips. The touch sent a shiver down Draco's spine.

"I really like you, Draco."

Draco's mouth fell half-open at the usage of his first name. Not in parchment and ink form, so... solid, tangible. It sounded wonderful. He swallowed, feeling his own Adam's apple gurgle up and down melodramatically.

"I really like you too, Harry."

Draco also took a step forward bravely. "You wetting your pants now, Gryffindork?" he taunted.

He smiled. "No. And call me Harry."

Harry's lips brushed his own and they finally, after all this time, kissed.