Chapter 11: My Name Is Mud

I cough as salty seawater splashes on my face, crinkling my nose as I wipe the droplets off my cheek. The hum of the boat engine is calming, as is the sound of the rolling waves. But with my hair constantly whipping around, threatening to free itself from my loose, two strand braid, I can't enjoy it too much.

"Nearly there now," Shona says, squinting to keep the mist from the sea from getting into her eyes.

Paula sighs with relief. "Oh, thank God. I never knew I got seasick until I came to the Far Hebrides. Is it possible the waves move in a different way out here?"

"That would be absurd, Dr. Cohen," Janine says with a blank face, and she gets a frown in response.

"Tell that to my stomach. How are you feeling, Janine? Still a good day?"

She nods. "I appear to be experiencing another remission day, yes. As there is no correlation between remission and energy exertion, it is sensible for me to use my good days for operation responsibilities. I've already been through all the latest reports from Abel. Things appear to be running as smoothly as they can in my absence, although the sealine infestation of red fungus has grown more troubling. Several fishing ports have been closed. So, you see, Dr. Cohen, I have matters well in hand. I don't even feel seasick."

"We'll be on the beach in no time," Shona promises Paula, who's trying to breathe deeply to push away the nausea.

"If we dinnae sink before we get there," Chief McCallen states, to which Janine gives him a slight frown with hardened blue eyes.

"Chief McCallen, there was no reason for you to accompany us. In fact, we would have preferred it if you hadn't. None of us have forgotten that you killed Miss Maxted. Your presence is somewhat distracting."

Sam sighs through our headsets. "Janine, it was an accident, and he said he was sorry a lot. Ellie... Ellie wouldn't want us to bear a grudge. I know she wouldn't."

Even though Sam can't see it, Chief McCallen waves away his words with his hand. "Don't worry yourself, lad. Nothing I can say can make up for what I did. Same with hurting your Runner Five. How is your shoulder, by the way?"

I give a half shrug. "I've had worse injuries. Still hurts a bit, but not much. But um, why did you come with us?"

He laughs. "It wasn't for you to stare at my ugly mug. I usually lead these expeditions."

Shona nods in agreement. "It's for the folk on Dearg Island. Lord knows why, but there's this mud they like us to send them. They give us a whole year's worth of medical supplies in exchange. I got a message from them this morning saying they've run out and asked us if we can bring them more."

"It's mud they want?" Paula asks, although I'm still stuck on the mention Dearg Island and the odd numb feeling that settles across my arms, skidding all the way to my shoulders and neck.

There's something off about that place.

Chief McCallen nods. "Strange silvery stuff. Warriors used it for face paint back in the day. It's hard to find, but hail like we had last night often brings it up."

I grumble. "Yeah, the hail that kept me up all last night."

That's a lie. It wasn't the hail that kept me up; it was talking to Peter and listening to him on Radio Abel far longer than Nicole wanted us too. I'm paying the price for it, but feeling tired doesn't mean I can just not go when I'm called to go out on a mission.

"But you think that if we supply the scientists on Dearg with this silver mud, they'd be willing to open a communication channel in exchange? Maybe even help Janine?" I ask.