051

mikki

mikki

looking at the two other solos, i felt sick to my stomach. brady was definitely abby's favourite, and lilly had an incredible solo full of abby's best choreography. the only thing that might let me win was if i was completely and utterly perfect.

and that's a lot of pressure.

i inhaled and exhaled slowly to calm myself down. 

slow down, mikki. feel it. just dance.

"from the top," gianna directed, pressing play on the music.

⤎⎼༌·⋱🩰⋰⋆༌⎼⤏

"we are leaving for new york city tomorrow," abby announced, looking at us standing in a line, "for your final rehearsal. we are attending fierce dance challenge, right in the heart of new york city. you never know who's going to be there. everyone is dismissed."

the tension, the palpable excitement, the buzz was in the air. we scurried out, our limbs shaking with the thrill of going to new york, one of the most famous cities in the entire world.

brady and i headed into our building and began piling all our belongings into suitcases. we had to vacate these rooms because we weren't going back. the two of us propped our doors open because our things had gotten strewn between our two apartments due to the ridiculous number of time we spent in the other's space.

i found a pile of my books in brady's closet and several shoes underneath the chair. he had left his stuff all over my dresser, which i gathered and dumped in the black bag he'd put on the living room couch. after about an hour, we were sure we'd gotten the last of our stuff out of various nooks and crannies.

it was a bit strange, looking at the empty, cleaned apartments. this place had become home for the months we'd lived here.

that was when it hit me. 

i'd never see these people again.

we all lived in different states, so it would be hard to visit each other. i felt like i was closer to these kids than most of my friends. we'd gone through so many breakdowns, cry sessions, painful moments. we'd won awards, laughed together, eaten cake off the floor. we were like a little family.

"i'm going to miss all this so much," i sighed, leaning my head on brady's shoulder. i could feel his heartbeat, quick and steady beneath his shirt.

"me too," he muttered, slinging his arm around me, "promise to keep in touch?"

i held out my pinky, which he took and hooked with his own.

we laughed a little. sad, bittersweet. i wouldn't miss the constant drama and chaos, but i would miss those moments of happiness and pure, sweet joy. 

i would miss brady.