Chapter Twelve

DICKhou : Here's the rough recording of the track

DICKhou : Let me know if this works or if you need any changes

Junak sat upright from where he was lounging on the living room sofa. The large room decorated with certificates, trophies and family photos was deserted except for him and a big brown stray dog that sat near the door, basking in the sunlight. She perked up when Junak noisily scuffled through his pockets and pulled out his earbuds. He connected them to his phone and pressed play.

The familiar note of a typical Bihu song – flute, the dhool and a few guys hooting – flooded in. Leading the song was the dhool. It was the same melody that Junak and Dikhou had finalised the day before accompanied by the flute, pepa, xutuli, toka and gogona.

It was perfect!

The track was four minutes long. The moment the music faded, Junak jumped to his feet and ran out of the room. The dog eyed him lazily. "Banhi. Niri!" he shouted. Priti, amused at his excitement, told him his friends were in their room so he made his way upstairs, taking two steps at a time.

The door to their room was open, so he walked in with a loud cheer.

Banhi looked up. She was sitting on the bed with the laptop open in front of her. She smiled, taking off her headphones. "Someone looks happy."

Junak went and sat beside her. "Where's Niri?"

Banhi chuckled. She had a dreamy look on her face whenever she spoke about her girlfriend; Junak didn't think she realised it. "She's befriended this group of teenage girls. I dunno what all that's about but she's been hanging out with them a lot."

"The dancers?"

"No. The dancers are like our age. I've only met Gagori though, she seems cool."

Junak nodded, impatient now with their ongoing conversation. He had exciting news to share. He beamed at his friend and showed her his phone. "Guess who got the music."

Banhi squealed. "Oh my god, for real?"

Junak nodded.

"Play it, play it, play it!!"

He handed her his earbuds and pressed play. Her face lit up, eyes wide and lips pulled into a grin. She bobbed her head to the beat. "I love it," she shouted. Though the music was more or less the same, she listened to the whole of it and then pulled out the earbuds. "This is great!"

"I know right!"

"Dikhou made it?"

Junak did not like the way she smirked while asking the question. "Yeah. And some guys from a nearby village."

Banhi smiled suggestively. "Didn't you talk to him yesterday? This was fast."

Junak frowned. Now that he thought of it, it was fast. It was just the morning before that they were discussing it and now, the track was in his hands. Did Dikhou go over to the other village, speak to the musicians and get the recording in such a short duration?