Chapter Eighteen

A/n

Early update because I'm going to my Grandma's village tomorrow for her birthday (lol, fun fact, that's the place where I'd spent many hours imagining I would one day write a queer story set near rivers and centred around bihu. It's weird that I'm finally doing it)

Enjoy and stay tuned *facepalm*

Oh and, as usual, holler if you see errors and spam me with comments!!!!!

Ily!

Dikhou was smitten, completely and hopelessly

Dikhou was smitten, completely and hopelessly. He could feel it crawling bit by bit with each passing day but when Junak called him one night, he knew he was absolutely fucked because he wished Junak would say something like come over, we'll make out.

It wasn't that kind of a phone call.

"THERE'S A SPIDER IN MY ROOM!"

Dikhou should've been irritated – it was past midnight and he was in the middle of his studies – but he felt a strange pleasure in knowing that, of all people, Junak called him for help.

"PLEASE COME GET RID OF IT! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE."

"Wow."

"I'M SERIOUS."

Dikhou was already up from his desk and pulling on a nicer pair of sweatpants. But over the phone, he said, "Why don't you ask Jatin?"

"He has a test tomorrow; I don't want to bother him."

"Did it occur to you that maybe I don't want to be bothered either?" He stood in front of the old full-length mirror in his room and tried fixing his hair.

Junak whined. "Will you come over already, before it slips behind the bed?"

Dikhou's reflection was grinning back at him. "Okay, give me five minutes."

"Be here in one."

Wow.

One minute later, Dikhou was standing outside Baruah koka's house with Junak – red-faced and hair all messed up – opening the door for him. "Come on, come on, come on; I hate not having location stat on it."

Junak's room was a mess. The bed was a mess of blankets and pillows that were randomly strewn, with a laptop sitting on top of it. Clothes were littered all over the bedpost and the desk chair. The table was cluttered with gadgets – cameras, headphones, a Bluetooth speaker, cables – skincare products, pebbles and dried flowers.

And there, on the wall near the window, was a large black spider.

Junak cowered near the doorway and watched, wide-eyed, as Dikhou used a random notebook to push the spider out of the window. He then closed the window panes and firmly latched them shut.

The whole ordeal barely took a minute and harmed absolutely no one, especially the human living in the room.

Junak let out a dramatic sigh of relief and walked into the room. "Thank you." He was a little wobbly on his feet and now, in the light, Dikhou noticed that his eyes were a little bloodshot.