Chapter 33 - Revelations

"You may leave the library and roam my territory freely."

Ava's voice was a little hoarse from emotion, but it was important to her to make the Goblin librarian feel welcome right away.

Orla took a deep breath and moved one foot across the threshold of the place that she'd been confined to for several centuries. When Frode had realised that he couldn't enter the library, he had forbidden Orla from leaving it. Although the Goblin librarians were bound to their workplaces and could never be away too far or for too long, it was possible for them to move inside the house and its grounds for some time.

Carefully stepping into the living room with both of her tiny feet now, Ava observed a radiant smile that appeared on the Goblin's face, displaying all of her shiny sharp teeth. When she took in the giant windows and the nature beyond, her dark eyes filled with longing. Ava made a mental note to conjure some chairs and tables outside so that the Goblin could enjoy her tea by the lake now that she was free to go outside again.

"It's absolutely stunning, Ava darling!" Orla said, eyes never letting go of the beautiful view. "Even though I must admit I expected nothing less of you."

Even if she would have been able to reply, words would have failed her at the enormous pride that filled her when hearing Orla's compliments. The words meant a lot coming from her.

Before she could answer, however, restless shifting from behind reminded her that they weren't alone. Some introductions were clearly in order.

"And who are the dashing young gentlemales you share this formidable place with?" the librarian asked as if on cue.

Clearing her throat, suddenly nervous about them not getting along, Ava stepped aside, so they could all look at each other without being in the way.

"Orla, this is Trygve," she indicated at the dark-haired Dracaeni who wore his blank-faced mask and Ava prayed he wouldn't say anything foolish. Somehow, she suspected that Orla wouldn't tolerate him being rude and she really didn't want to referee any fight between them. Much to her relief, however, the giant warrior merely nodded in greeting.

"And I'm Gainor," the other Dracaeni added, displaying his talent for knowing just what to say in potentially delicate situations. "I'm very glad to finally meet you. Ava has told us much about you and your research saved all our asses during the quest." He winked and gave her a wide smile.

Despite wrinkling her nose at his choice of words, Orla returned his smile, before her eyes settled on Raban, and her face changed into an expression of surprise and curiosity.

"And who might you be?" she asked the Fae, cocking her head to one side.

Raban looked at Ava expectantly, but although she opened her mouth to speak, nothing would come out.

Seeing her struggle, he seemingly took pity on her because he finally answered Orla herself.

"I'm Raban. Ava's consort."

*****

"I still think we should have stayed or at least followed the Fae," Trygve repeated as he and Gainor soared across the sea of emerald treetops below.

After the Goblin's arrival, Raban had announced that he'd take a walk to clear his head after all that he had learned during the day. Shortly afterwards, Gainor had declared that they needed to go on patrol around the territory, surveying the area. Trygve had wanted to resist, but his fellow Dracaeni as it turned out could be very persistent. Furthermore, Ava had seemed relieved at the prospect of being able to spend some time with Orla and so he had – if begrudgingly – followed Gainor's lead.