Chapter 53 - Fearsome Intrusions

Ava felt warm and cosy and ... safe.

Even before her first encounter with Trygve all those months ago, she couldn't remember a single time in her life when she'd felt so very safe as she did now, lying in Raban's arms. His even breathing and his firm warm body pressed to her back made her feel as if nothing could harm her right now. 

Snuggling a little closer, she felt her heart flutter as his arms momentarily tightened around her and her lips curled into a smile. Even in his sleep, he seemed determined to keep her close, now that thread finally admitted what they felt for each other.

Her heart had practically overflowed with joy as her brain finally registered that he - the handsome Fae warrior- had feelings for her. Feelings that she reciprocated and had been for quite a while. But she had never really dared to hope that someone like him could fall for someone like her, plain and simple and shy as she was.

When she had placed his hand on his chest it had been as if a spark of electricity hit her.  Their eyes had met and she had watched his going wide, his mouth going slightly open. It had been an enormous relief that he too, seemed to have been nervous about confessing his feelings to her and even though it felt a little unfair on his account, it had made her feel better instantly.

Raban hadn't said a single word then but he had never taken his eyes off her just as she hadn't been able to stop looking at him, practically drowning in that oh so blue eyes of his. After a while, his eyes had travelled further down, to her mouth, before darting back up again, his unspoken question hanging in the air between them.

Instead of a reply, Ava had bent towards him slightly silently answering his question, giving her consent to what he undoubtedly wanted to do next. He hadn't hesitated then and scooted closer so that their lips were only millimetres from hers, his warm breath caressing the tender skin of her face. Both the sensation and the anticipation of his lips on hers had made Ava feel as if there were a thousand tiny butterflies in her stomach.

The kiss had been gentle at first. A featherlight caress of lips on lips. Soon, however, it had deepened. As her trembling arm had no longer been able to support her upper body, Ava had slowly fallen back against the pillow, and her hand in Raban's hand had pulled him down with her, his mouth never leaving hers, drawing a gasp from him, that she swallowed with her kiss. Raban had rested his arms on either side of her head, bringing his upper body unto hers, close enough that they had been touching, but careful not to crush her beneath his weight. At this moment all of her nervousness and self-consciousness had been entirely forgotten and she had simply savoured the moment. 

Much to her surprise - and also her disappointment - it had been Raban who had broken the kiss first. His eyes had been bright, his cheeks flushed and his lips swollen when he had gazed down at her. Discomfort had crept up her spine instantly. Had she done something wrong? 

Sensing the sudden tension, Raban had brought a tiny bit of distance between them, never letting go of her completely.

"Hey," he had said softly, his voice husky.

"Did I do something wrong?" Her voice had been small and quiet, filled with insecurity.

"No, no," he had chuckled, "not at all." He had taken a deep breath and then let it out slowly. "In fact, this feels amazing and ..." he had paused, his cheeks going slightly pink.  

He had seemed nervous. In contrast to earlier, however, this time it hadn't done anything to soothe her nerves.

"It has actually been a little too good and ...," he stopped again, clearing his throat awkwardly, " Well, I wasn't sure if you were comfortable with taking things further tonight, so ..." His face had been bright red, his eyes no longer meeting hers.