Chapter Twenty

Christina woke up to the front door slamming, as she stretched she heard her cousins truck start up. Getting up she saw the time and rushed to get to start getting ready for the day. By the time she finished she had enough time to run down and grab a muffin and cup of coffee before running out to her car to get to work on time. Running into the building she went to hang her coat up on the hook as Dan came over to her.

"Hey, how come you didn't answer your phone?"

"Oh I'm sorry I changed the number yesterday to a local one and was going to update everyone today. Is everything okay?"

"Ahhh that makes sense. Yeah everything is okay but it's going to be a slow day so we were trying to let you know we don't really need you today if you wanted it off."

"Are you sure? I don't mind staying if it's going to be needed or if anyone else wanted to go home."

"Yeah, we have this, take the day and enjoy this weather for once. It doesn't come around often."

Christina smiled "I think I will, thanks Dan, see you later."

"Have a good one kiddo."

Christina grabbed her jacket and headed back out to her car. Pulling her phone from her pocket she sent a text to Sam "hey what are you up to today?" When she didn't get a response, she decided to surprise him at his place and headed that way. Pulling up to the little red house she was surprised to see Bellas truck there. Parking she got out and walked up to the door, as she approached it she heard a couple voices inside talking about being faster than a vampire. Christina slightly panicked when she realized that Bella now knew everything. Bracing herself for the wrath she pulled the door open.

"Hey Christina! Come on in, how are you? Do you want anything to eat?"

Christina slowly stepped into the house and smiled at Emily "I'm okay Em, thanks though. Hey guys, hey Bella."

Bella looked over at her cousin "How come you never told me about this. You knew this whole time. Were you intending on just being selfish and keeping this from me the whole time?"

Christina looked her cousin in the eye " I didn't tell you for the same reason you didn't tell me about the Cullens. It wasn't my story to tell. It wasn't selfishness, it was protecting those who entrusted me with their secret." Christina looked around "where's Sam at?"

Jared and Embry laughed a bit earning a slap from Emily. Jared spoke up "Well you see, Bella sort of confronted Sam about Jacob and then slapped Paul and well, now Sam is trying to sort them out." Christina whipped her head over towards Bella, "do you have a death wish or something? Slapping Paul? What made you do that?"

Bella didn't get a chance to answer as Sam and Nick were walking into the house at that moment. "Hey Christina what are you doing here, I thought you had to work." Sam said as he made his way to her and wrapped his arms around her. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Mike doing the same to Emily and watched as Bella slipped out the door to go to Jacob. "I was given the day off so I thought I'd surprise you.  I hope that's okay." Sam tightened his arms around her "it's always okay." He leaned down and gave her a kiss and asked "so what do you want to do today?" Christina shrugged "nothing in particular. Do you have anything you want to do?" He looked down at her "not really, just spend some time with you."

Nick called over to the two of them "hey you guys hungry? Emily's about finished with the food."

Sam laughed "you know I am, how about you Chris?" She looked up at him and smiled "sure I could eat something. Let me go to the bathroom first though." As she walked to the bathroom Sam went into the kitchen and talked quietly to Emily and Nick. After she finished in the bathroom she went back to the kitchen and saw a plate of food sitting next to Sam, he reached over as she approached and pulled her onto his lap. "Sam, there are plenty of chairs you know." He kissed her cheek "I know, I just wanted you to sit here." She smiled and grabbed her plate and began to eat. Once they were finished Christina helped Emily in the kitchen while Sam and the guys went outside to play football.

Walking outside Christina looked over at Sam who began to jog over "hey want to go on a walk real quick?" She nodded and took his hand. "So Emily told me what happened with Bella, are you okay?" Christina sighed "I'm alright, it just bothers me that she has been acting like that. She acts like she hates that I'm here. We used to get along so well and now it's like she doesn't even want me here." They stopped walking and Sam pulled Christina close "maybe you should look into moving then." Christina looked up at him "I'm not leaving here." He shook his head "not leave Forks, but leave Charlies." She looked down, I can't afford anyplace on my own right now so that won't work." he looked at her "it might work if you moved in with me. I know we haven't known each other long but you're welcome here anytime. I hope you know that. You never have to ask either, you can just come over." She smiled, "thanks Sam, I don't know if I'm quite ready for that just yet. But I will be spending some more time here from now on." Sam kissed her "good, I like having you here." She smiled and took his hand as they began their walk back towards the house.