ix. i guess this was a long time coming

JJ's flight came up quickly. Harry was buzzing with nerves, as was everyone else, not just because of his friend going head to head with Logan Paul, but also because he was going to be with Katie throughout the whole thing. In fact, they were sat together on the flight to Los Angeles, a day before the actual event, which had seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Hey," he said, a tiny smile forming on his face as she walked up to him at the airport, wearing a low-cut green shirt and a black pencil skirt. "Uh, how-how are you?" His hand came up to scratch at his black Sidemen shirt, fingers running over the taped patterns running up the sides.

She returned his smile weakly. "I'm good," she replied. "How are you?"

"Pretty good," he said, letting out a light cough. His hand fidgeted at his side, fingers curling and uncurling, before he thought Fuck it and reached for hers, carefully intertwining their fingers. Her brown eyes darted down at their joined hands, eyebrows twitching, but she said nothing.

The whole group began to engage in conversation, waiting for their flight to start boarding. Katie chimed in fairly often, while Harry shuffled his feet and stared around the airport, palms feeling clammy. When they had to let go of each other's hands to get on the plane, he couldn't help but feel relieved, wiping his hand on the leg of his trousers.

His phone chimed, and he felt himself smile as he saw Val's name pop up.

The seat beside him was empty, Katie having gone to the bathroom, so he leaned forward, craning his neck and whisper-shouting "JJ!" to catch the man's attention

"Val says good luck," he whispered, flashing him a thumbs-up.

"Talking to her, are you, Bog?" Cal grinned, nudging Lux. Harry gave them a nasty look, settling back in his seat.

"She just texted saying have a good flight," he said, rolling his eyes. "It's not that deep."

"Hm," Vik said, a few seats down from him. He shot him a dark glare, but the other boy just shifted in his seat, lips tilted upwards.

Harry ended up napping most of the flight away, both because he was tired and to avoid having to be social, something he deemed worth the resulting discomfort in his neck. When they arrived in L.A., it was already night, so they went straight to their hotel rooms - one journey, since they had all booked the same hotel -  lugging along their bags with them.

Anxiety built in his chest as he and Katie split off from the group, finding their room and letting themselves in. They had only one bedroom, a large double bed. He busied himself with unpacking, getting his things in order in the bathroom and closet. The view out the window was already dark, clouds hiding the moon and stars behind them, so he switched his outfit as well, wearing just a shirt and pants.

When he ran out of things to distract himself with, he sat down on the bed, crossing his ankles and fiddling with his hands. She joined him not long after, hair out of the ponytail it had been in and falling loosely around her shoulders. Her clothes had changed as well; she had swapped the neat shirt and skirt combo for her nightwear, a silky blue thin-strapped shirt, and matching shorts.