Chapter 17 - Dylan's POV

It's been a month since I made my mistake, one month since I turned my back on one of the most important people in my life and changed hers forever. For that first week I thought I could hear her howls in the dark of night but no one else heard so I assumed it was just my mind tormenting me. After talking to my Beta about it I figured that it was indeed my conscious haunting me for the decision I made. No one else in the pack heard the howls and my Beta thought I was losing it until the howling stopped and I went back to a somewhat normal routine.

I had put it behind me until I was paired with Audrey and my wolf started constantly reminding me about how he compared her to Lena. Other than the occasional remark he made he was silent and withdrawn preferring to interrupt the silence when he felt like it.

Two weeks had passed after our pairing when my father finally decided that I was ready to take his place as Alpha of Black Moon.

"Could have already been Alpha if you hadn't rejected Lena." Alex grumbled in my head.

"It's not good for you to stay in the past, besides she showed her true colors that would have ruined our pack if she hadn't." I told him.

He didn't respond to that and fell silent again.

I was busy working on some of the final arrangements for the celebration when my mother knocked on the door and poked her head into the room.

"We're trying to figure out the food situation for after the ceremony and we wanted your opinion. Should we cater or do something different?"

"I actually wanted to talk to you about the ceremony. Audrey still hasn't properly been made a part of the pack. I was wondering if we could make a day of it." I turned to face her.

"Could you be a little more specific?" She asked leaning against the doorframe.

"Well we could start with my Alpha ceremony followed by Audrey's formal introduction as my mate and her connection to the rest of the pack. If it's too chaotic we could do it the week following or a few days between the events."

She nodded in thought, "I'll ask your dad about that and get back to you. Right now though I need an answer, making food or catering?"

"We could do both. Have a buffet style dinner and cater the dessert. That way everyone is happy and not stuck eating what we choose." I answered.

"That's what your father chose but I wanted your opinion too." she said. "I'll get back to you about your ceremony idea by the end of the day." she left after that closing the door behind her.

I ran my hands down my face and turned back to the computer. I was finishing the invite list and had chosen all the eastern packs and a few close allies in the western packs when I scrolled down to the Blue Rock Pack. I figured why not and made the decision to invite the family including their mates knowing if they accepted I would get a chance to talk to Lexi again. I made a note for dad to call the Light Wolves as we couldn't just send a letter to them in the mail as that would be counterproductive to their secrecy.

I sent the completed list through email to my dad before shutting the computer down. I went back to the checklist and crossed that part off before looking down to the next thing on the list; Audrey's ceremony into the pack. I ignored that for the time being as I waited for my dad's answer to my suggestion. I figured I would move onto the next one which was also the last on the list; find Lena.

I had added that to the list when I felt her presence in my head become more distant. Our link was fading and while I didn't mind a bit Alex was persistent on making some sort of apology. I agreed only to get him to shut up and while I no longer cared for Lena I did want to see her one last time.

There was a light knock at my door and when I turned around Audrey was standing in the doorway.

"Can you show me around the pack? Possibly go for a run too?" she asked.

I nodded, "Absolutely, let me just change and I can meet you out back."

She nodded and grinned practically running down the stairs and I could hear the back door slam shut behind her as I headed to our room to change. I was walking out the back door a few minutes later and was eyeing the tree line as I walked across the yard.

She was waiting by a large oak with her shoes in her hand and when she saw me she waved me over. When I reached her she turned and headed deeper in.

"I've already seen the part of your pack where everyone lives but I figured you could show me more, the parts other visitors don't get to see."

I nodded, "Aright, stick close it can get tight in some places and we're not linked yet so no way of communicating."

She nodded in agreement and understanding before moving off out of view of the houses to shift. I followed her before finding my own tree to shift behind. I stepped out from behind my tree and looked for Audrey who only took another moment to step out from behind her tree and face me.

Her wolf was a deep red, a few shades darker than her natural hair color. She paused a moment before coming up next to me. I led the way between the trees and Audrey followed occasionally falling behind when it got to tight to walk side by side. I had just made a right towards a spot that overlooked a large part of our territory when Audrey nipped my side. I turned to her and she pointed her nose towards the left, I shook my head in an attempt to dissuade her but she was persistent and wandered off in that direction. I followed, lagging behind several feet as she made her way down the overgrown path.

I wasn't paying attention so when Audrey finally stopped I almost ran into her. She looked over her back at me before walking off behind a tree. I went behind a different one and by the time I had shifted and redressed Audrey had continued her way further down the trail. I followed and met up where she had stopped at the edge of the clearing I had been avoiding for almost two months.

"What is this place and why were you avoiding it?" she asked.

"This was Lena's place. She said it reminded her of a lake similar to the one at Blue Rock. She came here quite often to think and sometimes to swim. I came with her a few times but with her past and what she was dealing with I usually l left her to herself." I responded looking over the water over Audrey's shoulder.

"Wait, did you just say Lena from Blue Rock?" she had a look of mild surprise.

"Yeah, why? Did you know her?" I asked. If she did maybe she could share some more light on my ex.

"Not personally, our parents were allies and when they heard about the attack on their pack they didn't want to believe it and went to visit what was left of Blue Rock to see if there was anything to do to help. When they got there they found that her Uncle, Alpha Richard, had taken over and that there were several missing pack members that weren't among the dead. That was all they told me when I got older and I started asking when we were going to visit them again. I didn't know that your mate and Lena were the same person." she stopped talking and turned back towards the water.

"Your father is in agreeance with your idea about your Alpha ceremony and announcing to the pack that Audrey is your mate before initiating her into the pack. We've pushed it back two weeks so we have just enough time to get everything planned and set up for it. We start planning and ordering tomorrow." my mothers voice was quick and brief in my head before the link shut off again.

I relayed the message to Audrey and we stayed at the lake for a little while longer before we headed back to the house. We had a long two weeks coming up.