EIGHT

PEARL

Conflicting emotions swirled in my gut. Half of me was apprehensive and excited at the prospect of being somewhere new, and the other half couldn't stop mulling over what he said. My piss-poor mood leaked into my lackluster response.

"Yup."

I popped my lips on the 'p'.

Just stop thinking about it for now. Broach the topic with him again a little later.

I hunched my shoulders. It was unusual for me to be so... timid. Afraid. I wasn't like this. What was going on with me?

It occurred to me I didn't know his name. I was about to ask—yet another question added to my list of others—but he gave me a look I wasn't able to comprehend, throwing me off track.

"I will ensure that you reach your residence safely. I will be back shortly."

I gave him a thumbs up. He didn't acknowledge it. His muscles rippled underneath his clothing as he pulled the door open, disappearing through it. If the situation would have been different, and he would have been human, I would have asked him for his number, because wow.

Just a fever dream, I reminded myself, licking my lips. But it's okay to fantasize a little, right?

Maybe not, though. He was entirely too intimidating and... straightforward. I could take a hint; the jacked alien didn't seem to think much of me.

I wondered what it would take to change that.

When he reappeared, a little zing of excitement trilled up my spine at the thought of seeing a new space. I could only hope it wasn't as bland as this one. I waved at him, knowing I wouldn't receive any confirmation of my doing so, but I was trying to be polite.

Trying to be a better human.

"It is time for you to move into your new area. Come closer to me."

I sucked in a sharp breath and stood. My legs were limp like noodles, and my knees shook. Maybe it had something to do with his demand—come closer to me. Or maybe it was the mess of emotions in my belly, or everything it took to get here.

Shit, maybe it was the whole combination.

When I didn't move, he approached, and I suddenly felt like prey. Warm tingles ran from shoulder blade to shoulder blade. My visceral response to him intrigued me too much to ask him what he was doing.

His deep voice made my shoulders vibrate. "It is important that you cannot see when you are transported."

"Why can't I see?"

"It may be frightening. In the future, you will see our technologies. You may also hear sounds that are loud. You are safe, and you will remain unharmed. I will be right behind you, guiding you."

A snort left me. "You think I would be afraid of crazy-looking machinery?"

What did I look like, a crybaby? He brought me here to learn, didn't he?

"It would not be prudent for you to faint again." He folded his hands patiently. "You should satiate your curiosity another day after you rest. The term machinery would make our technologies rather antiquated. I could take your sight away from you myself, but that might—"

"No. Please, don't blind me." I bit my lip. "And I get it. Rest first, then pry."

"Precisely."

I lifted my chin, trying to appear brave, but I got what he meant. They were leagues above us technologically speaking when they fabricated us. I can only imagine what it looked like now—probably not like machinery. My head was still sort of fuzzy, too, so maybe it would be too much to take in.