Chapter 99

"Ash!"
I've seen enough of the end of the world, and so I come back to reality.
I throw my arms around Coal, barely remembering to be gentle on his scarred up chest. I completely ignore the bullet wound in my side, which seems to have healed over somewhat. The bullet, however, is still inside me, but I try to think about that.
I know he's confused, but I feel his arms gentle laid on my back, warm and strong and secure. I rest my head on his shoulder, shaking horribly. That's an understatement. I'm vibrating against his shoulder, and he's supporting me because my legs can't. I still can't blink, though my eyes are brimming over with tears so everything is one massive blur. I can only stare off into space, half imagining the broken, almost completely decayed black concrete road, spotted and interrupted by random, hundred foot tall trees that aren't natural, but bright and smooth and slimy. I see the remains of other cars, too, among the rubble and woods and over-grown paths.
Still shaking uncontrollably, I like to think I'm only imagining the skull grinning out of the shadows beneath the car. I like to think the cracked remains of fellow human beings, however Pure they may have been, are not the dust beneath my feet. But it's much harder to lie to yourself than someone else.
"You okay?" Coal whispers worriedly after a number of minutes, his breath hot on my neck. I can't even nod, but I can only stare blankly ahead and try to imagine a tenth of the terror those people of Old felt when the world ended.
"I- I never thought-" I finally whisper, and I open my mouth to explain the vision, to describe the terror. But I pull back and instead look into those blue eyes, and I see the pain they've been through and the horrors they've witnessed, and instead I shake my head.
"Never mind." I'm fighting against myself, because now I really don't want to walk the deserted streets of the Old City, if it even still stands- But if there's even a slight chance some Impurities still lurk there in the debris and shadows, then that's our ticket. "We'd better find our way back."
I take his hand firmly and lead him through the forest, and try not to think about the empty sockets of the skull of some long-dead victim of the apocalypse staring unblinkingly out of the darkness, watching me forever as I walk away, even once it disappears from my sight, silently accusing me all the while.