Chapter 107

Me and the last of the survivors from the original group opt to sleep below ground. After the experiences we've been through, a tight enclosed space is somewhat desirable. Plus it's raining, so, yeah.
I lead Sir Blarg into an old parking garage of some sort. One of the floors has completely caved in, with only the roof standing fifty, maybe a hundred feet up, so there's plenty of room for him. Again, we never actually found out if it was a him... This is assuming.
Some soldiers bring up a large supply of raw frozen meat, but they set it by the door, afraid to come in, and they leave in a flurry of hurried footsteps, casting anxious glances back over their shoulders at the looming, homely Beast.
"Well," I stroke the thick white fur as Blarg eats. "I'm not scared of you."
Blarg shakes his coat like a dog, and I leap back, terrified, my claws shooting out on reflex, and immediately bending into a defensive posture.
Yeah, not scared at all.
I relax, and wince at the pang in my side. I've been pushing the constant torture and pain aside, because some things are more important. But I know if I put surgery off much longer, I'll die from blood poisoning, or something much, much worse.
Blarg hums, looking up from his gruesome meal, blood dripping unpleasantly down his muzzle. I don't like to think of that creature being on the other side.
I remember my revelation atop the mountain. Coal's idea of an army of Man and Beast, which could finally bring down the Order. Impossible is an understatement.
And yet here I am, sitting alone in a half-exploded parking garage with a thirty foot tall carnivorous Beast, and I'm in one piece. Obviously whatever poor creature it's tearing apart would feel a little different.
I frown, picking a scab on my hand left over from where Coal's claws punctured the flesh. Suddenly I have a plan. A crazy one, but, duh, those are the only kinds that have a chance of working.
"Blarg," I say slowly. "How's about a little midnight fly over the city?"