Chapter 108

Be safe.
God, I hope those weren't his last words. Because then I might have to actually consider listening.
"Speed, Blarg. Faster!" I urge the Beast, my hair whipping behind me. Already we soar far above the clouds where the air is thin and it's hard to breath, faster than many airships. But it's not fast enough.
Suicidal thoughts? Not really. Suicidal actions? Heck yeah.
"This is nuts," I whisper to myself under the roaring of the wind in my ears. I close my eyes and press my face to Blarg's furry neck, hoping he'll know where to go. "We're gonna be slaughtered."
Worst scenario? They kill us on sight. Best case? Not looking much better. But, hey, there's no great victory without some small lose, right? Something like that anyways.
I must fall asleep, because I'm awakened by the sound of groaning and guttural snoring sounds. Stomp, is that you?
I'm reminded absurdly of a field of waning dandelions, their fluff white and fuzzy, stirred slightly by the breeze which blows through the Bowl.
Blarg quakes beneath me. I understand even though there are no words. Traitors aren't welcomed.
"It's okay," I mutter, more to myself than the five ton flying goat, turning around to face the pack, gingerly holding my side. If I have to go through another battle like the one before... And this time Coal isn't fierce and loyal and by my side... I can't afford to think like that. "It's all going to be alright..."
My footsteps sound empty and lonely as I tiptoe across the Bowl and grab two familiar swords off the ground. The metal is stained red on the edges with the rust of neglect, but I'm sure the blades are still strong. I sprint back to Blarg and carefully climb back onto his back. I take a deep breath and prepare myself. I don't really speak Beast, but no one was ever killed for trying. Actually, lots of people have been killed for trying. But here goes.
"Hey!" I shout at the top of my lungs, my voice cracking slightly. I swallow the fear rising in my chest. That won't do, not now.
"Hey! Yeah, I'm talking to you!" I cup my hands over my mouth, as one by one the hassled, grumpy looking animals open an annoyed looking eye to glare at me. "That's right! What're you gonna do about it!"
A couple of the animals seem to recognize me from before, and their hostile glares become murderous. Many leap to their feet with a roar like thunder and slowly saunter forwards, unblinking and staring at me with a deep hatred.
"Nothing!" I shout nervously, my voice becoming a little too high-pitched. "Nothing!" I repeat, and I'm proud that this time my voice remains husky and defiant. "Because I," I gesture dramatically to myself. "I am your KING!"
A few of the Beasts actually exchange sidelong glances, like, Whaa.... Our king in't a chick.... Or a human.... Or puny....
"That's right!" I continue before they regain their senses. I grab Sir Blarg's antler-horn-you-know things and point his/her nose upward. "I, Ash, She-Who-Walks-the-Shadows, I am your king!"
I press my heels into Blarg's sides, and with a grunt, the massive white wings spread and we're in the air, soaring above the heads of the dumbfounded colony.
"I am your king," I call down, circling back over the Bowl. "Because I have killed your chieftain, and your own kind is servant to me!" I scream down. At the word 'servant' Blarg turns his head to eye me distastefully.
"Fine," I sigh. "Your own kind has parlay with me!"
So, I really have no idea at all if they understand any of what I say. But whether they're just really stupid and see me riding one of their own, or maybe they see some reason, or maybe they still want to eat me, the white Beasts of the mountain collectively lift their wings, and with one entire down-stroke that echoes like a boom from a cannon, they shoot into the air.
"Yeah!" I punch the air, wincing at the tug of pain from my wound. "To me! To me! To the Old City!"
I twist back into the most comfortable sitting position on Blarg's broad back, and drive the creature forward, hoping the soldiers won't shoot us down when they see us.
"Faster, we need to be back before sunrise," I whisper, and, whether he understands or not, Sir Blarg goes into overdrive, and the giant flock of big ugly flying goats streams along behind us like a huge, noisy, smelly nimbus, rolling along, hundreds of wings beating like thunder.
"I'm coming for you, Coal." I think to myself, resting my head against Blarg's furry white neck and allowing my eyes to close, beginning to doze. "I'm coming."