E I G H T

"Oh yeah. You're much more of a Thanos."

Strange sits on the set of dilapidated steps, surrounded by wreckage, as he watches Thanos appear and walk toward him. The planet around them is quiet, eerily so. The others have already scattered as part of Tony's plan, lying in wait until the Mad Titan appears.

"I take it the Maw is dead," he replies. "This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission."

"You may regret that," Strange deadpans. "He brought you face-to-face with the Master of the Mystic Arts."

Thanos sighs, "And where do you think he brought you?"

"Let me guess. Your home?"

The Mad Titan stops for a moment, his hand upon his thigh, as he gazes down for a moment. He looks at the Infinity Gauntlet he's currently wielding, the sight of the Soul Stone bringing him back to Vormir, to Gamora, but he shakes it off. It was a necessary sacrifice—painful as it was—and it brought him here, one step closer to his goal.

"It was," Thanos replies.

Activating the Reality Stone, the landscape around them ripples. Lush greenery appears, replacing the wreckage of countless ships and civilizations, and the blue sky above them is filled with clouds as ships travel to and from the planet.

"And it was beautiful. Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution."

Strange frowns, "Genocide."

"But random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a madman, and what I predicted came to pass," he says, the illusion fading back to the desolate surface of Titan once more.

"Congratulations, you're a prophet."

"I'm a survivor."

"Who wants to murder trillions," Strange snaps back.

"With all six stones, I could simply snap my fingers," Thanos clicks the fingers of his ungloved hand together. "They would all cease to exist. I call that...mercy."

Strange pushes himself to his feet, "And then what?"

"I'd finally rest," the Mad Titan replies. "And watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills."

"I think you'll find our will," Strange claps his hands together, forming an intricate pattern with his hands as the orange glow of his magic appears around his hands before pulling them back into separate shields, "equal to yours."

"Our?"

He looks up just as a chunk of wreckage appears above him, slamming him into the ground before he can use the Power Stone to stop it. Tony flies away from the rubble in his suit, a cloud of dust and smoke rushing out from the impact site, as the others prepare themselves.

"Piece of cake, Quill," Tony says, flying by him.

Blasters in hand, Quill activates his helmet and flies after him, "Yeah, if you're goal was to piss him off."

They swarm the wreckage on top of Thanos just as it glows purple, then explodes around him. He switches the Gauntlet from the Power Stone to the Reality Stone, and with a wave of his arm the debris surrounding him turns into a swarm of bats who immediately start chasing Tony. Peter takes advantage of his distraction to shoot a wad of web into Thanos' face, while Drax slides in to deliver a slice at Thanos' thigh. He twists behind him and strikes again, but Thanos parries the blow away easily. Strange appears through a portal to join the fight wielding a glowing orange blade, but Thanos bats away Drax and grabs Strange's sword by the blade only to send him backward with a kick to the chest, narrowly summing a shield to protect him from the force of the blow.