F O U R

Gone. He's gone.

Anna can feel it in her bones, within the very fibers of her being, and it's like a hole has been ripped inside of her. Her very existence cries out to him, only to be met with silence.

It's been three days. Three days since she awoke in Ebony Maw's ship, the creature who seemed to have sworn himself to Thanos body and soul. The first was silent. Alone in the dark, she could barely tell that she'd been removed from the void, except for the slightest vibrations of the ship's engines pressed against the soles of her feet.

The second brought chaos. The first light she'd seen since she left Asgard in what felt like an eternity ago, and her eyes burned in the brightness.

"Midgardian," Thanos' voice rumbled through the room, and Anna coughs as she tries to hold herself upright in her shackles. "Come now, child. Must we continue this nonsense? How long will you resist?"

She laughs. It's a rough and unsettling sound, her throat raw from disuse, as she finally manages to focus her blue eyes on the Mad Titan.

"I could do this all day," Anna rasps.

"Then you shall suffer."

"Clearly you've yet to meet Steve Rogers," Anna quips. "But sign me up, I suppose."

Thanos sighs, "You continue to fight the inevitable, even though you are certain to fail. I'm offering you the chance for redemption. A place in the new order of the universe, crafted by my hand, with your daughter by your side."

"Stop."

"I know what it's like to be a parent. To want the universe for your child."

"Stop."

Thanos frowns at the sight before him. The tiny brunette Midgardian slumps forward, her weight held only by the chains binding her tightly around the wrists. She's gasping for air, tears staining her dirt and blood-streaked face, her body convulsing ever-so-slightly as she fails to hold in her cries. Cries for what, he does not know. Twice, he's offered her the chance for freedom. Twice, he's shown mercy only to have her spew venom back at him.

In time, however, he knows she'll change her mind. With the child, he'll be able to redeem himself where he failed Gamora. An adopted daughter, a legacy, one whom he'll happily share with the peace he has planned for the universe.

Whether or not the mother survives, well...her fate rests in her own hands.

He turns to leave the holding cell, intending to leave Maw with directions for her care. Now that the Midgardian is beginning to show signs of her pregnancy, precautions must be taken. For the child. For his future child.

Faint muttering draws his attention, and Thanos glances back at the woman behind him. For such a small, insignificant thing, he almost admires her tenacity. It would be a pity for her to die, much like Loki.

Another disappointment.

"You won't have her," Anna repeats, her voice stronger this time. "I won't let you have her."

Thanos laughs, "She's already mine."