Chapter 18 -In Which We Return to Shrimp Renegald

If The Undertown was already gloomy on Mondon's sunniest of days, rainy days were downright dreadful. Tracey and Mittie darted through the twisting streets, narrowly missing bouts of rain as it rushed off the crooked roofs above. "Somehow, this feels much longer than the last time we were here," Mittie panted as the two darted into yet another alcove. "It's a shame we lost the umbrellas so quickly."

"Yes," Tracey agreed with a solemn nod. She scanned the streets ahead for another shelter before darting out once more to another spot. "I've forgotten how easily they're stolen in The Undertown."

"I'm not sure if you'd call ripping an object from someone a theft or attack," Mittie grumbled. "My hair's ruined with all this rain."

"Apologies," Tracey sympathetically said. "We should be there soon." She scanned the streets once more. "If I could see anything in all of this rain..."

"Wait..."

"I think I see it up there!" Tracey said, taking a few paces towards her next target.

"Trace, wait!"

"What?" Tracey said, turning back.

"Is that the back entrance for Shrimp Renegald?"

She glanced to the alleyway where Mittie pointed, barely catching a glimpse of a blonde figure ducking into the doorway. As the door slammed shut, a sign swung into view: "Shrimp Renega-" (the last two letters were worn from age, unfortunately). "Yes, it is," Tracey agreed.

"Who d'ya suppose that was?" Mittie said with a frown.

"If I didn't know better," Tracey dryly jested, "I'd say that was Jon Starr."

Instead of an expected chuckle, Tracey turned to see Mittie staring at the back door, her face still fixed in the frown.

"Is everything okay?" she slowly said.

"Just wonderful!" Mittie abruptly said, her usual cheerful smile flashing onto her face. "Why don't we go in, don't know why we're still standing 'ere in this rain."

With those words, Mittie trotted around the cluster of buildings. "But...," Tracey started. She sighed. "Nevermind," she muttered to herself as she followed Mittie through the crooked alleys of The Undertown.

⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️

Tracey and Mittie coughed as they entered Shrimp Renegald, batting away the plumes of dust that circled them.

"Welcome to Shrimp Renegald, where you can find the finest 'seafood' away from the sea," a woman said, standing from her seat by the door.

"Why are you doing air quotes?" Mittie asked in bewilderment.

"For 'seafood'." she flatly replied, making the quotes again. "The food's not too bad though. Today's special is pickled cookies. May I seat you?"

Tracey observed her surroundings. The restaurant was largely empty, save for a lone diner who stared in dismay at their dish. It did not take much investigation to see the lump of charred food on their platter was the 'seafood' in question. Mittie discreetly bumped Tracey's shoulder, pointing to another corner. There, stood a sign leaned against the wall. She squinted to read past the build-up of dirt and grime on its surface. Please do not feed the rats. Thank you. "Ah...," Tracey started. "N-no, that won't be necessary. We're here on inquiry, as a matter of fact. May we talk to Reggie?"

"What if I were to tell you I was Reggie?" the woman responded.

"Oh!" Tracey blinked in surprise. "Are you?"