Chapter 26 - In Which We Encounter Figures

Tracey finally managed to stand, swaying as she regained her balance. Beside her, Charlie began to shrink back, but then straightened himself, defiantly glaring at the person. Tracey looked in defeat at the figure, unable to distinguish their face.

"What good timing!" a person said. "I was worried we'd have to delay and search for you. Hiding next to the garage may not have been the wisest choice."

"Stay away from us," Tracey demanded.

"...and if I don't?"

She hesitated.

The figure stepped forward. Tracey quietly sighed, watching in despair as Jon Starr stepped forward into the sickly moonlight. The light seemed to cast garish shadows over his face His piercing eyes were even more striking in the nighttime. "Tracey," he said with his usual pleasant smile. "Would you care to explain why you're out here? At this hour?"

Tracey didn't answer. Without breaking eye contact, she wrapped a protective arm around Charlie's shoulder. How can you smile as if nothing happened? she thought in disgust.

"Back to silence again," he sniffed. Jon glanced to Charlie. "Charlie, was it?"

Charlie shuffled closer to Tracey. It's okay, she said to herself, giving Charlie a reassuring pat. We just have to wait until Mr. Porter comes back with help.

"Tell me, how did you get out? I'm rather surprised, Tracey. I didn't expect for you to be able to move, let alone break out both of my guests so quickly."

"They were not guests, they were prisoners," Tracey quietly replied.

"And so she speaks!" he said with a broad smile. "Now, did you have to run much? You must've been very fast to evade Rollo and Elizaveta."

"We had a headstart," Charlie piped, glaring at Jon.

"Did you," he said in a disinterested fashion. He pulled out a pocket watch and cranked a dial on the side, causing it to whir to life and emit small puffs of steam. The face of the clock softly illuminated. "Well," he said, closing the watch and stuffing it back into his pocket, "this may be a bit out of the plan, but they should be back soon."

"They?" Tracey echoed.

"Why, Rollo and Elizaveta, of course," he replied, raising an eyebrow. "Why else did you think they didn't find you?"

"We thought we lost 'em!" Charlie exclaimed.

Jon laughed, paused, then blinked. "No," he said. "As I speak, Rollo is paying another visit to Mrs. Pinot, and Elizaveta is closing up the house."

"Where are the rest?" Tracey demanded. "What did you do to Mittie?"

"Oh, Mittie is fine," he nonchalantly said. "They've been blissfully unaware for the past hour or so in the sitting room...for now."

"For now?"

"Well," he continued, "Elizaveta should have finished sending off our staff and will be joining us momentarily with the others. In the meanwhile, I've sent Rollo to look for a special device of Mr. Pinot's. It's the last thing we need before we can leave." Jon paced away, wandering to the nearby water fountain. "It's called a memory altercation device," he said, staring at the rippling water. "Mr. Pinot had grand plans for it—help amnesia patients, wake people from comas! But alas...," he sighed. He shook himself. "That device," he continued, "is the key to letting all of you out of here...safely." He looked first at Tracey, then Charlie. "It's very simple. Wipe your memories of ever meeting me, and leave the country. Continue on tour."

Tracey's grip tightened on Charlie. Mr. Porter must've reached the constables by now. If I can stall him...

"Of course, I'm not sure of what sort of learning curve that device will have," Jon said, oblivious to Tracey's inner dialogue. "But, I'm sure we'll figure it out, won't we?"